Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any of you all "Roll your own?"

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mofugly13, Mar 24, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Any of you all \"Roll your own?\"

Just spent a couple hours "rollin' up some rounds." Here's a pic of the 125 or so .45 Colt rounds and the beast thet will devour them this weekend. That's my Ruger Bisley Vaquero. I love big bores.
    [​IMG]

Do any other CK5ers reload? Currently, I reload for 30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag., .30 Carbine, 30-30, .45 Long Colt, 45/70, and 7.62x54R.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Any of you all \"Roll your own?\"

Nice /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Good gun to boot.

What do you use for a reloader?

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I don't but I'd like to when money picks up around here

I traded in my .44 for a 1911 but when I get a .44M or a .45LC revolver back I'll have to to afford it

4. mofugly13

I use an RCBS Jr. press. It was handed down from my grandpa. Pretty much all of my equipment is from the "Big Green." Heres another shot my always cluttered reloading bench.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the compliment on the revolver, It shoots great, but I wish I had bought the blue/colorcasehardened version. I was feeling pretty "John Wayne" when I picked it up, but it's a little too much bling for me. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My Dad's got a Bisley too. I can't recall right now whether it's his .357 or .44 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Blued barrel too.

How well do your reloads work? I don't reload but have thought about it. I have access to most all of the equipment.

2 questions:
    Do you, personally, save money reloading? How often do you get mis-fires?

6. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]

2 questions:
    Do you, personally, save money reloading? How often do you get mis-fires?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never worked it out until you asked, here's the cost breakdown for this particular .45 Colt load, using 9 grains of powder/round:
    1000 rounds of brass @ $100 = 10cents per round of brass
    1000 primers @ $20.00 = 2 cents per primer
    1 pound "Unique" powder @ $21.60/pound = 3 cents per charge
    (there are 7000 grains in one pound)
    500 cast lead bullets @ $30 = 6 cents per bullet
    For this particular load this is a grand total of 21 cents/round.

Lets aay I decided to use a jacketed bullet, for a Nosler 250grain Jacketed Hollowpoint, its $13 per 100, or 13 cents per bullet.
    This gives us a grand total of 28 cents per round.

Black Hills .45 Colt 250 grain Lead Round Nose ammo is $212 per 500, or 42 cents per round. So as you can see theres definitely money to be saved. The kicker is, you only have to buy the brass the first time, then you just collect up your empties and reload them, saving you 10 cents per round from there on out. Brass does wear out, my current lot of brass has gone through 10 reloadings so far. But should last 15 or 20 at the low power loads I use. I load up some mulekicker loads also, but those are for hunting, so the majority of my reloading is for these "plinking" loads.

I have never had a misfire in the thousands of rounds I have loaded. That's not to say that it will never happen, but if you pay attention to what you are doing, you can load ammo that is more accurate and reliable than factory ammo. If misfires were a problem, I would probably stick to factory ammo. I don't wanna hear a "click" when I'm s'posed to hear a "kaboom!"

I am just now getting into bullet casting, where I pour my own bullets, which will save me even more $$$$$. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I reload quite a bit of 12 ga shot shells. Once in a while I do some long gun stuff 7mm mag and 308. Ammo is cheap for the 308 so I usually just buy it. Dont shoot the 7mm much except for hunting. Then its only 1 shot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif so ammo for it lasts a while.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the price breakdown. Do you buy your stuff mail-order or from a local supplier? I'll have to look and see what kind of reloader my Dad has. I know we've got lots of stuff left over for 20 gauge and 12 gauge shot shells.

9. mofugly13

My pistol and 45/70 brass I bought from Starline. I bought 100 rounds of .45 Colt and 500 of the 45/70. I am currently using 300 of the .45 and 100 of the 45/70, so I have plenty in stock for later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The rest I pick up locally or at the gun show. I don't reload for my 1911 or my .357, because ammo for those is cheep and plentiful, and at the rate I go through .45ACP and .357 ammo, I'd be reloading 24/7. I do mail order some stuff now and again, usually from Midway.

If you're looking for a catalog, order one from Midway's website. I have been using them for a few years, but just signed up for an online account a few months ago. They just sent me an email saying that they saw my B-day was coming up so they dropped all the prices in their catalog for me. I get to make ONE order, as large as I want, before midnight March 30, at the lowered prices. Way sweet I think! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I have a pretty big order made up so far, some reloading stuff, some gunsmithing stuff. I hope I can afford everything I want. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Midway has been good to me on what I've bought from them

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am just now getting into bullet casting, where I pour my own bullets, which will save me even more $$$$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to a local tire dealer, and ask for all the old wheel weights,melt them down, skim off the impurities, and pour into your molds. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I use to "roll my own" cigs /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How much does it cost to get started in reloading? Mainly Im just interested in doing it for the 30-06 and the .45

14. mofugly13

Way ahead of you, I have several hundres pounds of pure lead, nd a 5 gallon bucketful of wheelweights. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Pookster, Almost all of the major manufacturers of reloading components has a kit to get one started in reloading. An RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit comes with everything you need to get started except the dies and shellholder, which are caliber specific. It is $278.94 from Midway, product #646-599. I am partial to RCBS, partly because green is my favorite color, and because of their impeccable customer service. A set of 30-06 dies is $27.69, a die set for .45ACP is $38.79. Shellholders are $6.39 each, and what's cool is the 30-06 and .45ACP use the same shellholder. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You can get dies and shellholders on ebay for cheaper, probably. There are other manufacturers of reloading tools too, some are cheaper, some more expensive. You will need a good reloading manual too. I reccomment Speer or Sierra. Other brands to look at for tools, dies and manuals would be Lee, Lyman, Dillon($), Redding($), Hornady. I cruise the gun shows and used gun stores for used dies and other tools, sweet deals can be had on ebay, too. I reccomend going to Midway's website and ordering a catalog, it's chock full of good stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im gonna start doing this once I move out and start shooting my CAR15 more. I have the dies and junk to load .223, and I have all the brass I will ever need. Just need primers, powder, and bullets and I'll be a reloadin fool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My handgun is 9mm, not much sense in reloading for it.

j

16. ljbear

ljbear Registered Member

I've got a Dillon 650 with Case Feed. I do handgun and rifle with it, awesome machine. I started with an RCBS rock chucker, moved up to a RCBS progressive, and finally the Dillon.