Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any of you guys have GPS, if so what do you use, palm, laptop?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by wsudu, Dec 29, 2000.

1. wsudu

wsudu Registered Member

I am getting a handspring for x-mas. I want to use GPS on it. Any of you guys use this. I want to know if it works before I buy the GPS for it. Just tell me what you guys think. WSUDU thanks

2. undertow

undertow Registered Member

well, I don't own one, but I know they work. The attachment has the receiver/sending unit in it, and the graphics are pretty accurate. Its kinda pricey GPS system unless you plan to use the Visor for other stuff too.

[​IMG]

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have a Magellan 315.............tho thinking about upgrading to a Palm/Visor based one............did you get the handspring and the GPS software for it?

let me know..........have a couple of questions.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

4. wsudu

wsudu Registered Member

nope I didn't get it...I sold it..But I have seen it work...But you might have to get the car lighter accessory also to keep it running all the time...you know, for the backlight... So I hope it works....I didn't just cause I don't have the money

5. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

I have a Garmin e-trex. It doesent have all the functions the others have but it does everything I need it to without confusing the hell of me. This is a great little unit for wheeling hiking fishing hunting etc

One totaled 75 GMC Jimmy, 51 M-38 Willys, 74 Chevy 1/2 ton

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Frank, doesn't the GPS adapter for the PDA's cost about as much as a full-blown GPS? I've got the Magellan 315 also and really like it. I made a holder that suction cups to the windshield of the truck and then I plug it into the cig lighter. I then set it to the large display mode so it's easy to read. It's pretty interesting sometimes to see just how twisted some of the roads are in Colorado. [​IMG] I'll set a destination and start driving, only to find that occassionaly I heading in the opposite direction of the destination. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have a Garmin III and Street pilot. The E-terxx is a nice model for the $$$

8. william

william Registered Member

Hey, Call me old fashioned buy I still make excellent use of my now ancient Garmin GPS 45 model. It has since seen many improvements in the Garmin line and all, but I think the original is still the best. As far as ease of use, I have never seen any other GPS as simple to use, infact it seems they get only more complicated as continual advancements occur in their technology! If you can find one at a garage sale or anywhere I highly recommend them. Other than not being 100% submersible, they are virtually indestructable and aquire their location quickly at startup, and with a external lanyard antenna, they have no problems inside vehichles, (usually), and no overcast weather has ever hindered a signal for me, more common to the older handheld units made by megellan etc... I use mine solely in Alaska, fishing, hunting, snowmaching in the mountains, running rivers with my boat, and hiking/ camping. Just make sure to always bring current maps along with a reliable compass as well. A gps is a nice piece of equipment, but dont rely solely on anything with batteries. They can get too wet, smashed, lost, fall out of packs and pockets at most inoppurtune times, especially rock climbing!. Not to mention dead batteries, especially if you get weathered in one location for too long. I am a kind of orienteering enthusiast anyways and I think GPS is the greatest thing since the compass for navigation, I personally recommend it over the Loran-C system for ease of use off shore as well. Hope this'll give ya something to think about!
    Later,
    -William B.

Keep your stick on the ice...

9. william

Hey Harry, I still use an old Garmin GPS 45 and it sends me in the wrong direction first. I'ved since learned that all GPS units have this common flaw because they have to send you somewhere and until your moving away from your current location, the unit cannot generate enough navigational points to correctly plot a course out for you. I would actually have assumed that this problem was worked out by GPS unit manufacturers by now, but I suppose not. I have become accustomed to following the bearing instead of the heading and letting the GPS catch up to me later, usually within a minute or two of travel. My unit tries to head me in the wrong direction , so I travel just oppisite of what direction it tells to me go first and then it replots and refreshes with in minutes showing me a true correct course to take. I've written it off as just a character flaw of the GPS system. Hope this might help ya,
    -William B.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The GPS units in our helicopters don't point us the wrong direction on start-up. The headings and distances to waypoints may not be dead-on without some movement, but they do point the right direction.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

11. william

Man, congrats for being able to afford a nice piece of avionic equipment like that Helicopter GPS, but for the rest of the civilian population who dont use high dollar Rockwell units, etc... , the mannerisms of cheap little handheld GPS units will continue to compromise their performance.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, I only get to play with that GPS when I'm IN THE AIRCRAFT, since it's integrated into the avionics. And since it's military, we ALL paid for it.

"I'ved since learned that all GPS units have this common flaw because they have to send you somewhere and until your moving away from your current location, the unit cannot generate enough navigational points to correctly plot a course out for you. I would actually have assumed that this problem was worked out by GPS unit manufacturers by now, but I suppose not."

I was simply trying to point out that not ALL GPS units have this "flaw", which isn't really a flaw. You cannot plot a course (manually or electronically) without at least 2 points of reference, which I'm sure you know.

"I've written it off as just a character flaw of the GPS system."

It's not the GPS <font color=blue>system<font color=black>, it's the GPS receivers and the way the manufacturer programs them, that causes this. Until they program GPS's to not try plotting a course until it has a couple of good position references, you'll just have to ignore those first couple directions (as you said you do).

BTW, I'm not trying to be some know-it-all a$$hole, It just bugs me when people bash on the GPS system when the cause of 99% of all GPS issues is the receivers. All the system (satellites) does is broadcast a synchronized time signal. The receiver is what works the magic to give position, heading, speed, altitude, etc.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

13. william

TOU'CHE'
    okay, I get it and yes, I meant it was characteristics that were common to many handheld GPS units and really not the Global Positioning System, which has proven itself over and over, sorry.

"I dunno what happened,
    It was like that when I got here..."

14. HarryH3

Hi WIlliam, I wasn't referring to my GPS sending me in the wrong direction. It's the roads in Colorado that do that! [​IMG] Sometimes your general direction of travel might be west, but from time to time you'll find that you're on a switchback road actually going east, to get to where you eventually want to go. My Magellan 315 only has to move about 10 feet before it knows which direction I'm heading. It works like a charm!

When standing still, the GPS receiver can't know which way you're facing, without a magnetic reference of some sort. So you have to move so that it can calculate which way you're moving. Then the heading will be correct. Mine powers up with the last heading that was displayed before the power was shut down.

I borrowed an older GPS from a friend before buying mine. I can't remember if it was a Garmin or Magellan, but I think it was a "Model 12". That thing took about 5 minutes to locate itself on power up. My current one locks onto 6 to 8 satellites and locks its position in 30-60 seconds. Over the last week of 4-wheeling around the Collegiate Mountain range in Colorado, it's reported my altitude within 10-15 feet of what the forest service signs said. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

15. RollingBolder

RollingBolder Newbie

FYI, there is on GPS on the market that does indicate direction without movement, the Garmin eSummit. They equipped the unit with a digital compass.

16. HarryH3

Yep, it's just as a stated here: "When standing still, the GPS receiver can't know which way you're facing, without a magnetic reference of some sort. "

The eSummit has an electronic compass built into it. But it's way expensive. The GPS receiver still doesn't know which way you're facing, but the unit will display that informationfrom the electronic compass. I looked at that one and decided that for the extra $100 I could walk 10 feet for mine to gets it's heading. Then there's always the $10 compass in the pouch just in case the electronic gizmo decides to flake out or the batteries go dead, etc. [​IMG]

17. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

i just baught a garmin 45 from a coworker and i'm glad to hear people are still useing them. i was worried that the technology was out of date.

72 jimmy

18. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

From the electronics show stuff I've seen about the Visor/GPS module it's not all that accurate. I could be wrong though. The GPS I use is the Magellan MAP330. Good unit, can download 8mb of maps of a specific region you want and it'll go right down to street level maps of whatever you'd like to see. Can zoom into it down to the 100 foot scale. Might want to look into the other options than the visor as well as that. You can also do a search of ZDNET and computershopper.com I believe they have some decent reviews of the visor unit.