Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Old Car Buffs Here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by broc944, Oct 21, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have come across a 1930 Oakland four door sedan. Has a V-8 in it. I can not find much info on this car.

What I have gathered is that in Gm bought Oakland, and in 1932 changed the brand name to Pontiac.

This is what it looks like, not the actual car in question.
    1930_Pontiac4-door_sedan.jpg
    The guy wants three grand for it. I have no idea if this is a good buy or not.
    The car has been stored inside for years, engine is seized, but the body is in decent shape.

I want to build a rat rod, and this car is in the vintage years I like.

Question is is this worth the money? If it is, would it be a sin to start chopping and stripping this car to make it into what I want?

1930_Pontiac4-door_sedan.jpg

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I think you should buy it. Tinker with the engine and get it running. Then put it in Hemmings for 8K.
    I assume all you will use is the bare frame and body, so parts scarity will not be an issue. If you can get it running, you can probably sell the motor on Hemmings and get some of your money back.
    That is a pretty big car for a rat rod. 400 Pontiac motor, Turbo 400 and a 12 bolt rearend would make for a nice ride.
    Does it have a solid steel top, or the cloth/leather insert? That would be pricey to replace. The front end could probably be replaced by a street rod Mustang II kit. Sounds like fun.:bow: :bow:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't hack up an Oakland. To rare for that.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My thinking exactly. Buy it, fix it, and turn it for a profit. Then use that money to fund a rat project.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Agreed!...

DONT CHOP IT UP!...Corey is right--that car will easily sell for double what you can buy it for with a little tinkering..find a less "rare" car to make into a hot rod!..

My brother bought a 1933 Studebaker from the estate of a friend who was a massive antique car collector--he had several garages all over new england,and tractor trailer bodies, stuffed with cars,parts,and a bunch of other neat stuff like old signs and gas pumps--he died of a brain anurism,and my brothers bid of 3,500 bucks was accepted for the Studebaker at his estate sale....

Once we got it to his shop,we looked it over--it was in great shape considering its age,and it ran after a few hours of tinkering!--but it was built of both wood and steel,and would have been quite difficult to mount on a later chassis..the more we looked,the less we felt like hacking it up into a street rod..my brother decided to advertise it for sale,in a Studebaker Club newsletter ..--
    --(he has a '42 Champion also,and is a member of the Studebaker club)..someone bought it sight unseen for 5000 bucks,and if we had waited longer,or were willing to ship it across the country,we could have gotten much more!--but he just wanted to "bail",and be rid of it quickly,with the least amount of hassle..

I'd definately sell the Oakland to a collector or museum,and use the money to buy another body..that thing deserves to be left as is, and restored to original condition...I bet it will sel FAST at 3 grand!..:crazy:

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

dood it's a 4 door nuff said...

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Four door rat rod, suicide doors at that! Chop the top, shave the handles. It would be different. I am talking rat rod as in the surface rust variety.

I passed on a 1930 Chevy a few months back just for the reason it ran and moved under its own power.

The last thing I want to do is destroy something that is rare.

Maybe I will get it, and just sit on it for a while

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your serious about it, I can contact a friend who has one. He can maybe get with you and talk about it.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

There will please be no chopping and channeling and whatever else of such a rare vehicle!!!!!

Please???????