Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Olds fans?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Dec 27, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a jet boat with a olds 455 in it. I have a pontiac motor to put in the boat thats built and ready to go. The olds motor was just rebuilt and was wondering if anyone has used one and how well they hold up. If they are a good motor it might find its way into the burb. If not I will sell it to someone with a cutlass. Thanks Dan.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In my opinion all 3 versions of the 455 were great motors. Buick, Olds and Pontiac. They are all torque monsters that last a long time. If I had my choice between the three I'd still go with the Pontiac though, but the other two are very decent!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. DesertDueler

Well its either put the pontiac motor in the burb and keep the olds motor in the boat, or haul a$$ on the lake (85+mph) with a built pontiac motor and take advantage of the tq of the olds 455.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like a win-win situation to me...[​IMG] I'd use the Olds in the Burb.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I like the Olds 455. I had one in an old 69 Delta 88 I got from my Grandpa. Thing went like a raped ape!!!!!!
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I've had some experience with v-8 olds motors. I would stand by them night and day. I've seen a couplr with 250k+ miles on em still going strong.
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like your idea of putting the pont. engine in the boat and the 455 in the burb.
    The reason is that 455s dont like to be over-reved. It is very easy to over rev one by catching a little air and cavating the pump on the boat. I have seen quite a few 455s damaged(mostly spun bearings) by sucking air in the pump. The fastest way to kill a big block is with a improperly trimmed jet boat bouncing over the water at WOT and sucking air instead of water.
    The pontiac engines seem to like jet boats better than the 455s. They seem to take higher revs a little better. The 455 is a great engine and they do work very good in boats if they are set up properly. But its been my expreience that 455s, jet boats and frequent rebuilds go hand in hand.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

8. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

" hey kids, you want your uncle roman to drop some coin on a kickass jetboat??"

man those things are loud! they all seem to have super dope motors..... ( overkill? nah, ducted fan pumps aren't the most efficient, 120hp motor makes my jetski go only 61, and it weighs about 470 pounds.....)

i like to get out there when these guys throw that huge roostertail, and cruise in it..... hurts!

i saw a drunken bozo get one about 20 feet from the spot where everyone beaches their boats, stall it, restarted and the throttle hung wide open, making it climb a mastercraft, destroying the windscreen and knock a girl unconscious in the process....

** i'm so money **

9. WillThisNameWork

WillThisNameWork Registered Member

I had a Rocket 455 in a 79 Firebird Formula a few years back. It was a very mean motor and tore up many parts on the Firebird. I prefer SBC or BBC for parts availability but you won't be dissapointed no matter what you put it in.

Good Luck

WillThisNameWork

10. DesertDueler

I run rev-limiters with any motor I build. Even my burb has a MSD 6-al box. I am a pontiac fan so thats why I have motors laying around. Dont get me wrong I like chevys but the only things I have that have chevys in them are the burb and the Jimmy. Thanks

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I still have a 68' OLDS 442 in stock condition sitting in Tucson.It has the 400 motor,but I once played around w/ the muscle cars along time ago.Fact: the early model 455's(pre 72's) can be bored .125" over to give 486 cubic inches then add a stroker crank and you get over 512C.I.'s.The olds motors are wll known for building alot of low to mid torque.I would keep the Olds motor or if ya want I could throw it in my 442 and scream even more!!!!