Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one deal with Heckethorn aka Rough Country**UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Apr 13, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Because I am getting pissed off. I ordered my lift kit on April 2nd. @ days later I call back and ask them when they are going to take the money for them. They say they all ready have it so I ask why hasn't my order been shipped. Their response, " I don't know". I DON'T KNOW is a lame excuse. Well I just got off the phone with them, 10 days later and my order STILL hasn't been shipped out. WTF /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif This is screwing up my whole plans I have. Going to call and speak to the big man in charge of orders tomorrow and see if he gives me the excuse of I DON'T KNOW. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I am freakin hot right now. 700 bucks for a lift that isn't in my garage yet. They give me the same BS tomorrow, I am going to call ord and get the flip and springs and do it that way.
    **UPDATE**
    Well after getting put on hold almost all day, gave the run around and waiting for them to "call me back" after 5 hours, I sent them an e-mail. It stated I was tired of getting the run around from everyone, I was going to disput the charges on my Visa unless I talked to someone within the day. Well 30 minutes later I get a call at work. It just so happens that they happen to be out of rear spring. Come on out of rear springs???? Going to be two weeks before any comes in. But at the time I placed my order they were in stock. WTF. I thought oders had numbers for a reason. That way they can specify which ones are first. So now I am screwed for the next 2 weeks and then I will have to wait for them to be shipped. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Any one deal with Heckethorn aka Rough Country

Well, it doesn't help your situation but they treated me very well when I ordered the 6" kit for my crew cab. They told me it would take about 2 weeks for the kit to ship as they were waiting on a stock shipment. I later had a warranty issue with my add-a-leafs that was handled promptly and without question.

As for my experience it went very well. It doesn't help but maybe you just got "the new guy" or something. I would anticipate the manager will go out of his way to help when you call tomorrow.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

same here, fast ship. no issues. I guess they were planning to have there laugh after my kidneys fail /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have had GREAT dealings with Rough Country. For the price, their products are pretty good, but their service is even better.

I ordered my lift for my '90 suburban and within a week, all the stuff was at my door. But, because my 'burb has 56" rear springs, the kit I had to order was for a 3/4 ton pickup. Since it was for a 3/4 ton, I had the wrong size rear u-bolts. I e-mailed them and said there was a problem, and I had the correct size u-bolts at my door THE NEXT DAY for no charge.

Then, when I wanted to get new u-bolts for the front axle for when I did my 3/4 ton swap (I kept the rear ones they sent me originally), I called them and they sent new front u-bolts to my door for $20.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for Rough Country.

Hope everything works out for you.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have had good dealings with them as well, when i ordered my lift kit, i ordered it for a 1/2 ton and i forgot the 14bff uses a different/bigger u-bolt, well i got the front installed, called them and had new u-bolts in 3 days, at no charge and didn't have to return the other's. Originally when i purchased my lift kit, i had received it in about 6 days (business).
    Then i had a problem with the shocks that came in the kit, they were too soft for my particular ride situation, so they sent me new,better quality shocks (all four) at an extremely discounted rate. And also receive those in about 4 days.
    So other than the "Easy Ride" front springs being slightly on the stiff side, i am very happy with their customer service. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have had a number of dealings with them, mostly bad. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1) Called to ask about lift kits. Specifically asked about ride quality. This was before I knew anything about lift kits. The response was that with their "double-taper springs" and new shocks, the ride would be comparable to or better than stock. Needless to say: lies! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif In fairness, other manufacturers gave similar responses, although it was closer to truth for them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2) Ordered Spring/Block lift kit with shocks, arm, etc. to save a buck. Their prices are hard to beat. Everything arrived fine EXCEPT for the missing block pins. I call them and they ship out 4 of them. By the time they arrived, I had already cut the shoulders off some bolts to make my own pins.

3) Wanted some U-bolts to attach my 14-bolt. I told them exactly the measurements I wanted, but they kept asking for vehicle application. They finally took the order. When they arrived, sure enough, they were the U-bolts for a 10-bolt axle. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They told me they are not allowed to ship something that doesn't match the vehicle application. Right, like I'm the first guy to but bigger axles in a 1/2-ton. Why not tell me that when I placed the order? Or call me back? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I should have told them 3/4-ton suburban or something.

4) I ask them to express ship the correct U-bolts so I can swap the axle in on schedule. They refuse to pay extra shipping costs, but do agree to send the other U-bolts for free with no return requirements. I push for express and me to return the old ones, but they won't budge, giving me an indication of the markup on U-bolts.

5) The next package is completely wrong. It is a bracket for a Ford lift kit or something. I check out the part #'s and sure enough, two digits are transposed from the correct part #. I gave up on them at this point and sourced some U-bolts locally. I only ordered from them because of the nice gold anodizing on the bolts that makes them resist rust.

Did I mention the intensely stiff ride of those springs? The only Rough Country part I still have on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is the steering arm. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man you sound really whiney

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Ya see, the trick is, when you call them for a different part, make it sound like it wasa their fault, you told the salesperson what you had, and the wrong parts were sent. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I thought he sounded pretty honest.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Honest and whiney are on two different planes

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Honest and whiney are on two different planes

[/ QUOTE ]So please explane to me how ol'boy was whining. He post about his experence with Rough Country's service. Gave more then one exsample, and gave his opinion on the ride quality. How is that whining ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm not looking for a arguement, I honestly don't see any whining. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Rough country rides like s#!t. Period. That is why so many people who buy it for the cheaper price eventually take their stuff of and replace it with Tough Country or BDS. I am in the process of doing this right now. The PO had the Rough Counrty installed. It rides like there are no springs. Seriously, it feels like there are just giant blocks connecting the axles to the frame!!!! Call me a whiner or whatever I am just trying to warn people. Just like everything else you get what you pay for.

Do what I did and surf the for sale section and buy some TC or BDS stuff frome someone on here if you want to save some money. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

Well no offense to anyone but here it goes

Oh let me preface this with that I have bought directly from RC, they had great service, and while the springs are stiffer than some, they flex great

Anyway

1. Call a company and ask how good their products are? what do you expect? "Ahhh yeah they're stiff as hell, but they're cheap...."

2. Block pins are like friggin aspirin tablets, you can see how easy they would be to lose, plus how simple is it to make your own. I thrrew mine away and never used em, almost spit out a block i might add

3. They ask application data to get you the right stuff and probably for liabilty. The phone reps aren't like Steve Watson, they are probably hired just to sell stuff on the phone. If you want eggs to throw at people you dont say that and expect to get treated nice, you say your gonna make an omelette, should have asked for a 14BFF application.

4. Oh gee they wont ship the U bolts you incorrectly ordered fast on top of being free? What a bunch bastards.

5. See you figured it out all by your little self

I know that came off as trite but oh well, that's why I think he's whiney

Also just noticed I directed this at the poster, when it should be directed towards Pauloo as an example

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

4. Oh gee they wont ship the U bolts you incorrectly ordered fast on top of being free? What a bunch bastards.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well put! I would like to add that the Rough Country springs I ordered 3 years ago for my K5 are now going on my new trail rig. Why you may ask? Well, because I found them to ride much better than the old springs and they also did a real good job of flexing. I think the fact that the spring rate is high gives people the mindset that these springs must be stiff as hell. Then, when their truck rides like [darn] they blame it on the springs instead of looking at shocks or how the springs were installed (eye bolts too tight, no grease on bushings, etc.) I know I am not the only one that was happy with my RC springs but I think the people that dislike them tend to voice their disapproval more often.

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    W.T.F. Over?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Were you in my guard unit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Career Communicator, Semper Fi!

18. Blue85

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that they messed up the orders multiple times seems relevant to the original question. If I just liked to whine, I would have already started my own thread to complain about RC.

I asked for one part, which they agreed to ship. Then they changed the order without contacting me. I didn't get any free U-bolts from them. After the second wrong shipment, I bought some parts locally, cancelled my order and shipped everything back. I had to make 2 more phone calls to avoid paying the return shipping. Not a big deal, but I expect a vendor to go out of their way to fix their mistakes. Maybe I'm spoiled by dealing with places like Summit and ORD. Even 4WPW has always hooked me up.

I tried to show the positive and negative sides in my other post. I meant to show that it was good they shipped the block pins out to me. Obviously making a couple wasn't much of a setback, but they should have been included in the first place; that's part of the point of buying a "kit".

BTW, if you put in blocks with no nipple and no block pin, you have bigger things to worry about than my posts. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I also buy direct from RC and i would just like to say that alot of people just dont know what they are buying. The reason things dont ship right at time of order is they are waiting for parts to go into the kit. As for the first come first serve that is not all together true. They try to fill the business orders first then the induvidual orders after that. Its not fair but thats the way it is. As for ride quality you would really be surprised if you were there when the springs and shocks came off the boat and got the names painted on them. Did you ever look at the rancho,RC and the skyjacker springs? They really are marked all the same aren't they. Anyway just a few things for everyone to think about. Oh and this is not my opinion this is the way RC explained it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. Blue85

[ QUOTE ]
    should have asked for a 14BFF application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...That's what I did. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif