Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one else married to a great women who prefers hotels to the hills?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by mtn. burb, Nov 6, 2004.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I love the high country. The freedom, the sound of the ocean in the Pine trees,well, you get it. However, my wife whom I love dearly does'nt. More of a Westin luxury resort is her thing. I keep inviting her, to no avail. I always bring the boys, it's a father son thing too.

"You want to go up ther AGAIN?" Kinda bums me out.

Any others have a similiar experience?

Thanks in advance.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm lucky that my fiancee digs camping just about as much as me... even better is that she understands how the fishing trips are, and stays home for those. usually i'll do 1 week a year of straight fishing and one where i bring the family camping..

but i can certainly understand cuz of my sister. we laugh about it all the time how i love being out in the wilderness and my sister is the "hotel queen"...

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I guess I've got a pretty happy medium. My wife loves to camp if I go "full boat", which means a fully loaded Tahoe, plus a full 5x8 trailer. This is just for the two of us (plus dogs) mind you, she wants the full camp kitchen, the 12x12 7 foot high 4 season expedition tent, the 150 qt cooler, inflatable mattress, dustbuster etc. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

And don't even think about driving the K5, it's "too uncomfortable" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But if I breing everything under the sun she loves it and enjoys herself, and consequently I enjoy it more too. If I want to take the backpacking tent, the K5, and some quickie food, I'm on my own (also not such a bad thing every once and a while) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I got somewhat lucky. We camp from late October thru May just about 2 weekend sometimes 3 weekends a month. Wheeling season comes with camping.

My wife will go in the "Camper" slide in on the gooseneck trailer. about ever other trip. She won't do the tent thing, too much work. But we don't do the tent think anymore, as even I enjoy the camper, and hell the blazer is a trailer queen anymore.

But, hey I got lucky.

Rob

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Thankyou all for your feedback. That's good to hear.

I think I will put together a "full boat" trip for her. She will appreciate the thought and effort.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Not my wife. She grew up in the country and we are moving there soon. She loves the outdoors, is barefoot around the house most of the time and now pregnant /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If your Wife likes comfort and you want the outdoors Rent a house boat. You have all the luxury. Comfy furniture, Heat, AC, stereo. Tv, Bath, hot water, ect. Step outside the door you have the great outdoors for fun and a private beach.
    My wife, 2 kids and I have rented houseboats on Lake Powell, Lake Mead, and Shasta Lake. We had a great time on all these trips. The cost is the about same as staying in a motel. Many Marinas have good dining if you dont want to cook, Shopping many other activities, ECT . Its the best of both worlds.

Houseboat infohttp://www.sevencrown.com/index.htm

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I got the best of both worlds... my wife loves to camp... in a tent or otherwise, and she's a Physical Therapist and we end up in a hotel just as much as we do in a tent because of conventions and such... can't very well go to a professional convention smelling like camp fire.

She also lets me go hunting, fishing, and goes climbing with me. We also have a dog, which has her going outdoors more often, and we will be wheeling together in the near future, but she doesn't know it yet... I have plans for her very own truck in the making.

9. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

wife's idea of roughing it

Staying in a hotel with no monogramed bathrobes and a smaller than king sized bed.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Princess and the Pea

My wife is the same way.

I just accepted it and use those times to get out on my own or with my Brother Dave. The longer I'm married the more I enjoy getting away on my own sometimes :ignore: Gerri never hassles me about my solo trips and is very supportive. She's no foo-foo either, just not enthusiastic about roughing it.

I think Thunder, GJK5 and the other guys that mentioned comfort are right, if you can bring the amenities somehow she'll be more inclined to go.

I'll have to try the Houseboat thing. Been out to Powell for with friends but not family. That is if there's any water left by the time we get there.

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Buy a nice camp trailer, and let her pick it out. Some women don't mind tent, pickup bed, or under the stars camping(me included), but I've yet to meet a woman who wouldn't rather have a trailer with a nice soft bed, a toilet, sink, and shower. It's less work and the plumbing makes all the difference. Plus with a shower the hubby and kids don't smell so bad that you don't want to ride home with them in the truck. :D

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, my wife digs camping as much as I do...and guns and video games too. She doesn't like 'wheelin though... can't win 'em all. Just be glad there are other things about her you like and be happy. :)

j

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Just found this post and thought I'd revive it.

My wife was raised in hotels all of her child hood. I on the other hand was raised camping in a tent or under a truck almost every weekend.

When we met i took her on her first camping trip and she enjoyed it. We would do the tent thing evey couple of months but not more than just one night.

Well once the kids came along, it was all over. There was no way I was going to get her to go camping in a tent again.

So instead of building a shop on the side of my house, I bought one of these.

[​IMG]

Now she loves camping and once I get my truck built she will be more inclined to go wheeling.

Ah the things we do for love.:p:

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Uhhh thats why I go hunting and camping, to get away from her...

15. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you found a very good compromise. Nice RV!!

Danielle actually surprised me last fall with a "I'm sweeping you away for the night" date. And she said load up, we're going camping!!!!!!!

I thought that was very cool. We had a great time !

Their is something about camping with the whole family, that no matter that it is great or hard, makes for indelible memories that bring us closer together.

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Self Contained

I was taking the shower to wash-off the Coachella Valley dirt when a whole bunch of stored data finally clicked. Just like what has been discussed here, the lady does not like dirt (for very long). Once I figure a way for the Wife to have the clean facilities, then she'll go along; probably even condone all that money invested in "wheels". To get my cake and eat it too, I want crawl with shower/toilet. I am currently what I can abide as self contained with my Burb, with underhood hot shower (if I even care), air bed, ice chest, stereo, heater; and crawl and 80 MPH on the freeway. Hmmm. Anybody here looked at EarthRoamer? Now those things are for those with serious bucks, $200-250K. What I'm thinking is equip a 4X4 chassis with enough ammenities to qualify as Self Contained, for tax deduct, while keeping it simple/light. I'm not talking about slide on camper, or maybe I am. Is that the simple answer, just get a long K30 with a slide on? I would value you'se gents opinions; who knows, maybe on paper we can build something really outstanding.
    I think I've found what I want; four wheel pop up camper.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006