Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one ever install a hand throttle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

I deided i need a hand throttle. my diesel dosnt have the rpm at idle to make my onboard air work efficently. i found somthing that resembled a hand throttle at pep boys but it came with very vauge instructions and looked like it was made in another country with crappy parts. so what im wondering is has anyone ever installed one? how hard is it? are they any companys that make high quality hand throttles?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A friend used the shift lever and cable from a mountain bike. He mounted it to the shifter. I believe he used some small ball link chain at the throttle end...

Rene

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It was a factory option in 1st gen. Blazers. 1st gens rule!

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Depdog has a handthrottle on his... search the member's rides section. He might still have pics of it online. He used a brake cable off of a bicycle.

5. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

I would like to do the same...I searched for pics but couldn't find any. If anyone has some they would be appreciated.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have used a PTO cable before, for cruse control among other things, you just pull the cable out where you want it, to realese it you just push the button in the center. I have also seen the shifter thing on manual trans. trucks. Try a search in the 1st gen fourm, I remeber there being a post about this a while ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm going to be making one out of a bicycle shift lever and cable. I'll be documenting the process when I finally get to it, but it will probably be too late to be of any use to you. Don't spend money on one though, just go to your local bike shop and ask them if they have any old friction shifters that you can use. Ideally an early 92-93 vintage top mount Deore XT shifter would be perfect, they have a very nice action, easy to move but will hold the position you set it to very well. Get a cable to go with it and some cable housing, as well as some ends that clamp to the cable to use a stop. The clamping ends are the hardest part to find, they aren't used very much anymore but a bike shop that's been around for awhile should still have some. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have one on my K5, I have an sm 465 stick. I used a brass bushing to attach it to the stick, and its an old BMX bike brake lever, its lightly spring loaded to return the handle to closed. If you want pics, email me and I will take some and email them to you.

Depdog

9. ducttape114

so yours is just like a go pedal on a stick? i need a throttle like tractors have. like a lever i can move back and forth that will hold the RPM at a certain leval. like a great big idle speed control screw. im also fuel injected with a funny diesel set up, and i have an auto tranny. i bet i could rig it pretty easy if i was carborarted, but im not.

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Does not make a difference if your carbed or fuel injected. Still have a throttle cable pulling to open and let air in, or tell it how much fuel to flow. I went from a Carb. to a Howell EFI and the throttle still works just fine.

Rubicon Express makes one like you are asking for.

Depdog

11. ducttape114

cool man, thanks!!

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

13. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Depdog,Hook me up with some pics!I need something like this.Mike