Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one got pics/info on 4x4iron crossmember??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Mar 2, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I know they dont make them anymore but I am looking to make a t-case crossmember similar to theres, anyone got any pics of it or info on what all it is made out of?? BTW I am looking for the 208one.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As far as I know I am 1 of only 2 people on earth to have a 208 crossmember from 4x4 Iron. I have pics of my modified crossmember that I am going to get developed soon.

Send me a PM so I remember to send them to you when I get them developed.

I will see if I can find the old pics before I modified it too.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

Here are some before modification shots of the crossmember.

http://www.4x4iron.com/default_files/page0103.htm

I ended up breaking the crossmember pretty good after I came down from a 3 foot drop onto the crossmember. It sheared the round tube away from the frame mounts almost all the way around.

My buddy Matt (az-k5) fixed and gusseted the tube where I broke it, and also added on a rear leg to the frame rail to help support the crossmember more. The reason it broke is because the skidplate didn't have enough support and it acted like a lever on the frame mounts. Now it can't do that because it has no leverage on those mounts.

Harley

4. 85mudblazin

sweet thanks, yea it looks like it needs a support in the rear, what thickness is the tube that is used, the page says 2"OD. I have some 1 3/4"x.120 think it will be heavy duty enough??

5. Hossbaby50

The tube used was 2" OD .120 wall. I did dent the tube some when gravity won its game with me. My buddy Matt is studying to be an engineer and he said the dent was not a big deal. He knows his sh*t so I trust his word.

1.75" should be strong enough as long as the design is right and you gusset it well. If you can I would run 2 rear legs from the rear of the skidplate. 1 to each side of the frame. I couldn't do it because my dual exhaust got in the way.

I have put a decent pounding on that crossmember since it was rebuilt and reinforced and it has held up fine. It took quite a bit of a beating before my gravity games too and did quite well.

The only other suggestion I would make is to make the skidplate out of 1/4" plate. Mine is 3/16" plate and I have dented the plate a little bit, even before I broke the crossmember up.

Harle

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are lots of options with x-member skids. The biggest problem with harley's is the multi-plane bend that the main hoop is made in. 1.75" .120 wall should be plenty strong. Tubing diameter increases torsion strength, but the point loading that a x-member is usually subject is better offset buy thicker wall (this is why the dent is a non-issue). You can always cut down some 2" .120 wall in half and put a rub rail around the lower half for extra pounding duty. If it is properly designed (like harleys current set up) the frame will give first.

7. 85mudblazin

coo, yea I was looking at it and it seems like you can just make another flat crossmember that goes just under the rear DS and then run supports from that down to the back of the plate. Then maybe cover the whole thing in 1/4" for some extra beef.