Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one have a beetle?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Nov 3, 2005.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

what are some good websites for mods and repairs, my buddy just bought a baja beetle and we are trying to figure out the rear tires--they do / \ instead of \ / and the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted--has no foreward gears.

thanks

Dan

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep I have one

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  3. SCOOBYDANNN

i like the rims,

well i figured out the tire problem, gonna get workin on the shofter and brakes today

4. kgblazerfive

What year is the baja? the tires only did this \ / up till 68 in 69 they went to an IRS so it was l l that. If its earlier and does / \ it might need its torsion bars turned.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

its a 68, yea i messed with the torsion bars to lift it up a little---do you know if there is "too far" w/ moving the Torsion bars?

6. kgblazerfive

I'm not sure if there is a too far, usually one or two splines will work if you can't put it back together then its to far. I have ground the tube off so the bar will go down lower so it will lift the rear more. It can only go so far then it hits the bolt anyway. It may be to late, but if you take it apart make sure you mark where the bars were when you took them out.

7. SCOOBYDANNN

Man these things are pretty easy to work on. I went a total of 3 splines from flat and it looks and rides like I want it to. we adjusted the clutch and had to modify the bolt that connects the shft rail to the trans and notch the body a little bit. Whoever built this car put A LOT of money and time and just gave up. Fiberglass front clip, rear fenders,roll cage, engine cage, front bumper, souped up 1835 motor all cromed and yellow accents.

So far what we have had to do is: lift the rear, replace CV Boots, replace fuel pump and bolt in the cage.

What we have left to do to drive it: Bleed the brakes, wire up the lights and build mounts for the seats and we're off :D

i have pics but dont have a computer to download them on to. Soon

8. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member