Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one have this problem with there auto tranny linkage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Aug 2, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my linkage has gotten horible...looked underneath to try to adjust it and the little spring and bushing that goes were the arm from the tranny and the linkage from the column come together is gone. its only like 2 bucks at the dealer for them..think that will solve the problem? i sure hope so! i have to pull like a b!tch to get the key out! and i cant shift into D,2,1 ..(still got overdrive though)

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

the hole the linkage rides on the frame side get's wallowed out. Once it does the spring can sprial it's way out. Flat washer will fix it.

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I lost my linkage all together on my way home one night. Drove 20 miles all the backroads at 4800rpm in first. Oh yeah and remember if its stuck in gear and you turn the engine off. It will not restart why you say CUZ its still in GEAR /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I lost my linkage all together on my way home one night. Drove 20 miles all the backroads at 4800rpm in first. Oh yeah and remember if its stuck in gear and you turn the engine off. It will not restart why you say CUZ its still in GEAR /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you could have stopped, blocked the tires and put on the parking brake and manually switched the tranny into gear, but that is kinda dangerous. And if the linkage just fell off outside you could have shut off the engine, manually put it in drive, and started it. The neutral safety switch is in the steering column not the tranny. I had a busted neutral safety switch in my chevelle for a good year and it would let me start it in any gear.

EDIT: BTW i just checked your profile. Your website is what linked me to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you have a ripping soundsystem in that rig