Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one have tips on custom interior?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, May 2, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have never done any interior work except for stereo installations. I want to cover the doors in fabric..maby some crushed velvet...NOT! I have carpeted speaker boxes ect and I use that spray adhesive, foam and then vinyl..is this pretty much the same process? The only thing diff Is I can staple the vinyl to the wood..how does it stay to the door? AND I want to fabricate a custom dash cluster with a nice set of VDO or cybertech components. Any one have any experience in this kind of stuff? I dont care much about Dakota Digital..I think they are nice but I like the analog-custom look better.
    Brent

2. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I have 2 buddies who have covered their door panels, headliner, and the plastic/metal pieces that hold the headliner in, with tweed. It looks real good. not sure about how it wears on the top of the door panel because they didn't keep ther trucks long enough to find out. I just covered my Headliner and other panels in the truck with grey tweed. I just used spray adhesive.

good luck
    Michael

3. chad

chad Registered Member

here's a couple pics of what i did, i used automotive carpet from Menards and some professional grade spray.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

4. chad

chad Registered Member

here's the door panel, oh yeah, for my gauge cluster i took it off and spray painted it first with primer and then with gloss black and it turn out cool as hell, much better than the silverish stock stuff that was chipping off

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Hey Chad, did you get that tweed at an upholstery shop or just a fabric store? how many yards did you use and how much did the fabric cost? Did you have any trouble forming the fabric to the dashboard? how about the door panels? I have been wanting to do my interior in grey fabric for a while but havent known how to go about it.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just a thought about the custom dash. You could get some 1/16 or so brushed alum and have it anadized (ya, I failed english). Or keep it silver. Than use a dremmel tool to cut and remove the areas for the guages.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez