Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one know anything about boats?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Aug 19, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my friend traded some jet skis for a 1983 20' wellcraft boat, well stole would be more like it (only had $600 in to the jetskis). the outside is in great shape, paint has a few cracks, a few rough spots, but all should buff out. it needs an interier bad, the wood of the seats are bad, almost rotten through. it has a chevy 305 225 horse motor, needs a fuel pump. it did run though.

what im looking for is some info on what its suppost to have for interior stuff, what its suppose to look like, so on. i can't seem to find any info on wellcraft boats. it says 20 classic on the side, all that i have seen are tripple digits, like 190, 200, 205, 210 and so on. so im guessing its a 200 or 205. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

any info is greatly apreciated, we wanna get this in the lake soon /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

If you had a pic it would help out greatly.

Sounds like the Step-V hull though. Does it have a massive flare to the bow, and a very sharp V? If it does he didnt just get a good deal, he ROBBED whoever he got it from. Those were excellent hulls.

If the seats are that rotted i am willing to bet the floor is in worse shape, he may be looking at a complete tear down and redo on the interior. He may even need to replace stringers if they are soft.

On the bright side, he can setup the interior the way he wants to. West marine is a great place to start when looking for interior "stuff". He can choose seating configurations depending on what he will use it for, it sounds like it will be just used for cruising and playing.

Where does he plan on using it, Great lakes? Rivers?

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I agree: your buddy stole it. Anyway, West marine or www.overtons.com. I am helping a buddy redo the entire interior of his '79 19' Sea Ray and he got a smokin' deal on lounge seats (the back to back kind that will lay down) $260 with shipping and tax for two. I would suggest pulling up the deck (may be hard if it's glassed in) and checking out the stringers as mentioned above, the deck itself will be real easy to replace, but if the stringers are rotted it will be a bitch. Another good place to checkout would by www.diynet.com and search for baot tips, they have a show all about used boats and repairs.

As far as seat configuration, will it be ski or fish or both? What type of water? Once you put the deck in you can pretty much do as you please as far as types of seats and location, so find a floor plan you like and go from there.

Good Luck.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, inspiring post. I have a chance to pick up a 20' 87 something or other with a Chevy 4.3 and the same thing, completely rotted out interior from being uncovered in the weather for 5 years.

If you guys keep talking so good, my wife might find a surprise in our driveway...

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i work on that chit daily... as stated the floors probably aren't great... if they happen to be gelled/glass floors with bolt in sections you can be pretty much gauranteed the core is soft... Swellcrafts are notorious for it... ply floor replacement is a common job too... you can also get good carpet thru Bass Pro....

if ya need gel tips, composites, Merc stuff, whatever, just ask....

heres a good forum, couple of knowledgable folks in there and alot of owners... i got tired of hangin there and answering tons of questions.. deal with boats all day, didn't want to be doing it at night too..

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. big83chevy4x4

ill get some pics of it tomorrow. i don't think it a step v hull, i seen a pic and it doesn't look like it.

i called the local marine place on a fuel pump, $137 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. i think i will just put a normall truck one on it, the guy at the shop recomended that or an electric one. i dunno yet.

AFAIK he plans on just playing/skiing/tubing in some local lakes, not lake michigan, yet. and no salt water, way too far away. i hope to go fishing in it also. its kinda gonna be a joint venture, its his, but i do the alot of work and i can use it also. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

it has a good plywood floor, it was just the benches that were almost rotted, not really the seats and all, he threw everything out to clean it up. he said it has been sitting for a while, the guy who owned it died, someone inheared it and never took care of it and now my friend has it. suposidly the guy who didn't take care of it only had it for 2 years.

whats under the plywood? its not gonna hurt anything to pull it up will it? i don't know if its screwed down or not. if not how else would it be secured? i only got about an hour to look at it/play with it before he had to go to work. im gonna work on it all day tommorow though.

7. ryoken

watch what you put in a boat as far as auto parts goes... it is no joking matter and can cause fatalities.. an auto electric pump is a recipe for disaster. boats blow up that way and thats no joke, it seriously happens. starters, carbs, alts, dist, etc MUST be marine...

let alone other incidentals like hoses, etc.. i know i'm in for a POS job when i get on a boat and find car heater hoses, etc on it.. that stuff needs to be wet exhaust, w/wire preferably and so on...

your floor will more than likely be "tabbed" around the edges with glass (sawsall or air hammer work well here).. and usually screwed and glued down to the stringers.. it will more than likely have floatation foam under it between the stringers...

8. big83chevy4x4

ok scratch that then, the fuel pump anyway. it looks like it is rebuildable, but they cannot get a rebuild kit for it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    i was thinking about putting HEI in it, but probably not now /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

do you think i should pull the floor and look? i remember a small gap between the floor and the side /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif if i do pull the floor, what am i looking for? thanks for all your help so far /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. ryoken

yeah, sometimes they are not tabbed and just screwed and glued.. if the floor is relatively solid, i wouldn't play with it until you have to. if its dry and solid, you may want to just coat it with epoxy or epoxy and glass to seal it up good..

the only reason you should "have" to pull the floor probably is for the tank. hopefully that will be ok, but with a boat that age you never know... life expectancy on fuel tanks is generally 15 to 20 yrs. if ya smell fuel or suspect an issue you can pressure test it..

definitely should swap out the fuel if its been sitting a year or 2. if it doesn't have a good fuel seperator like a Racor you should at least get a spin on seperator like this [​IMG]
    boats are notorious for fuel issues... btw, http://www.lewismarine.com is excellent...

and honestly, can't say i've ever rebuilt a marine fuel pump, if its bad, i dont jerk around with it and just make them buy a new one... i would double check that one tho, they rarely go. plumb a hose directly to a gas can to make sure its not a filter, anti-syphon, pickup in the tank or anything else prior in the system...

and yeah, HEI isn't recommended.. if ya wanna go electronic over points, Pertronics, Sierra and others make conversion kits for about 80 bucks. they're pretty good, just installed a pair today on small blocks that i did heads on. i prefer getting new electronic merc distributors, but most dont want to spend the 350 to 400 for a distributor...

didn't want to come across dicky about the car parts thing, but as a responsible marine mechanic i have to say something.. when it comes to boats, stock is good, especially Merc stuff..

you'd also be well advised to check your raw water impeller if its been sitting (good spare part to keep on board if you have a motor mounted pump)... you probably only have one in the drive tho...

feel free to pm me about any particulars.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ryoken

heres one to look at to.. these are pretty much a standard passenger seat for boats like that... i think they were 270 at Lewis..

[​IMG]

11. big83chevy4x4

thansk for all you help. it has a filter/separator between the pump and the carb. i will test the pump though. i do know there is a small hole in the floor for the hoses on the tank.

[ QUOTE ]
    check your raw water impeller

[/ QUOTE ]
    where would i find this?
    thanks again
    TJ

12. ryoken

if you don't have a belt driven pump on the motor, it will be in the lower unit of the outdrive. relatively easy job to drop the lower unit.. change the lower unit oil at that time too. drain from bottom plug. pull lower, rebuild pump (impeller), reinstall, then refill from lower plug till it comes out the top plug. if that oil comes out milkshake, the lower will need new seals...

i'm assuming this is all Mercruiser stuff, probably an Alpha drive.. one other point of interest, your bellows and shift boot in the drive should probably be checked if they've been sitting around for dryrot and cracks. these are the rubber boots between the gimble (stationary part on transom) and upper unit (part of drive that turns back and forth).

the reason to check these out is because if ripped, cracked, etc it will sink your boat quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and i do mean quickly....

sorry if that all sounds kinda alien /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif just some things to look out for... and check out that forum too, tons of info to surf thru.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

83 should be pre-alpha, which could make finding parts a pain, unfortunately mercruiser no longer makes parts for those, and only so many parts interchange. But i cant remember the cutoff year for sure.

If you need any outdrive parts, PM me, i have a ton laying arround the garage, along with several props.

Good luck with the project, sounds like it will be alot of fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ill get some pics of it tomorrow. i don't think it a step v hull, i seen a pic and it doesn't look like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Step-V is just what wellcraft called it, it was actually a very deep V hull, but was a mix of a variable deadrise and continuous deadrise hull, it "stepped" back to the 24* transon.

15. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i can;t help with that,but i will help with gas to go scuba diving. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif