Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one know what wire(s) to disconnect for timing on a tbi?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Feb 25, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am getting ready to set the timing and need to know where to find the wire on the motor to disconnect, to disable the advance.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

its behind that cover on the firewall on the left side of engine compartment. I think its a Brown wire with white stripe or Black with white Idk ill go look in a few mins to be sure But i think thas the color it has a quick disconect on it. Just take off that cover and its on the right side of the junction box and a big wire loom hose. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. milspecjimmy

left side meaning drivers side or passangers side? and what cover are you refering to? the one over the master cylinder?

4. 89K1500Chevy

its the passanger side and IDK but mine has a Cover over the Junction Box its held on with 3 plastic things. The wire is a Tanish color with Whtie stripe there is a quick disconect lead on the wire so all you got to do is unhook it. Its coming out of a big wire loom cover thats to the right of the junction box. heres a pic of mine. Look over the transmission filler cap(red) and you see the cover of the junction box. to the right of the Trans. cap on and the cover is big wire loom cover you can see a piece of it here and the wire is coming out of that loom. [​IMG] If i had a digi cam id take a pic of it with the cover off and you could see what im saying better but thats all you got to do. heres another shot of it different angle but you can see the big wire loom cover right above the trans. filler cap, behind it at bottom of Junc. box cover.http://bigboytoys.8k.com/Picture 024.jpg /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It is a brown wire with a white stripe that should already be out of the wire loom right below the master cylinder. It will have a weather pack type connector on it.

Mike

6. milspecjimmy

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif mine looks nothing like that, and i have no cover like that or junction box!!! what the heck? man this is starting to suck. i have it set to 0* right now but that wire is still connected where ever it is

7. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

On my '89 it is a brown/tan wire with a black stripe. It is found between the power booster and wiper motor. There is a connector on the wire that you disconnect. After you set the timing, don't forget to hook the connector back up and clear the computer memory by disconnecting the negative battery cable. Good luck!

8. milspecjimmy

any chance of that connector having a blue wire in it also? or is it a single wire? sorry for the basic questions, any motor i have worked on is either so new it doesnt need the timing set, or so old you only have to pull a vaccume hose

9. 89K1500Chevy

Well then idk this is funney how chevy has used different colors and place's of mounting these wires. Mine is a single wire. its brown or Tan with white stripe. I got a hanyes book but its in my toolbox at school and im at home right now. But i know that mine is right for my truck as ive had to do it a few times. Different year models diff. wires /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. milspecjimmy

WOOOO HOOOO, got it. good directions. i hate it when it is so simple, but love it at the same time. thanks guys for all the help.

11. milspecjimmy

Even though they are the same year, they had changed a lot more than the body i guess. thanks for looking, i really appreciate it.