Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one moved there steering box back?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jan 13, 2004.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of moving my steering box back, looks like 8-9 inches and just turning mt pitman arm around,

I have cross-over now so I imagin this should work now?

Also I started my double u-joint steering shaft so I think nothing is stoping me right? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Why...what would the benefit be?

3. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I bet that truck will be very interesting to drive after that mod /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking behind axle steering style. The drag link will hit the engine x-member good if you move the box back, neat idea but a hell of a lot of work. The frame has to have similar dimples on it to support the load, and have the box mounted flat.

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't the steering be backwards if you did that? You would turn your steering wheel left and the truck would turn right. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Sorry I just realized I didn't say anything about wanting to move the front axle forward, just thinking out loud, I am really just looking for some sollution to a permanent frame fix, as for the demples for where it mounts..I don't think haveing the steering a inch over will make a difference with using a double u-joint shaft.

Also I want to move the rear axel forward, just need to figure out what coils have what spring rates /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, or if it will be easier to just run 63's like most are sugusting..but then my departure angle is robbed. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I dunno just looking into ideas at this point, I started reading up on 4 links, anti squat and roll axis and I have a LOT of reading to do. I have gained a new respect for those who can build and design a suspenion that works!

I am considering putting the truck down for a couple of monthes a doing a complete rebuild on it...again.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif