Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one out ther put 88-up wheels off of a k2500 onto a 1976 14ff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klink K5, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I want to put factory 16 inch wheels off a 1999 K2500 surburban onto a 1976 chevy k20 pickup. My question is that I want to use the factory center caps that require the lug nuts with the threads on the outside required to hold on the center cap via the the black screw on caps that go onto the lug nut. The lug nuts are metric and I would like to know if anyone has taken the time to figure out the proper studs required to make this all work. I have a 14 bolt ff in the rear and a dana 44 full time in the front. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

check to make sure the backspacing is correct. i know i tried to fit a early 90's chevy IFS onto a solid front axle and the rim would hit the tie rod. my .02

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I did this on my 79 Sub. Put the late model Alcoa forgings on it. Didn't use the late center caps or the lugs as that's just more stuff to rattle and fall off. The guy I got the wheels from did put all of that stuff on his wife's Sub though. He ran the correct tap into the metric nuts. He's not the type to do something half-a$$ed so I'll bet the threads are really close to start with.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The studs are 9/16-18, and the nuts are M14-1.5.

9/16" studs are about 14.3mm.
    1.5 mm/thread is about 16.93 threads/inch.

I don't have much faith in cutting a different pitch thread on 0.3mm of meat. I'd be looking at getting studs from a newer truck to fit my older hubs/rotors.

The newer (88-up) 8-lug steel wheels are as soft as butter compared to the old steelies. They bend VERY easily. Look for F0RD (aka Accuride) 16x7 wheels. They're the strongest 1-piece steel wheel in production.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The backspacing is fine, and the wheels will bolt right on. Somebody makes the 9/16" lug nuts with the threads on the outside for those type of center caps. I will search around a little, and try to find out where you can get them. There actually might be a GM part number that will work, as I think they used those type of caps while they still had 9/16" studs.

6. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

what i did is put the regular eggcorn 9/16 lugnuts on and found hub caps from a 89 3500 pu the are spring loded deals that pop over the eggcorn style lugnuts so no need to change to a 14mm with the outer threads done it but no pics yet BTW i have 38.5x11 boggers on those same rims its a pretty good look i might add...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of your Ideas! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

So we're talking about 17tpi vs. 18 tpi and .011" larger diameter. That sounds to me like several to many threads will not be changed very much by the tap, and the engineering rule of thumb is that you can't expect more than three threads worth of thread engagement due to the manufacturing tolerances of the threads involved. I'd call it very close to being statistically indeterminant.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

YES they will work!
    I installed a set of chrome steel wheels from a '99 K2500 onto my '88 crew cab with dana 60 front. No mods everything fit.
    Used the factory caps, bought the custom nuts required. Currently I am using factory center caps on my '91 suburban with Weld aluminum wheels, looks much better than the weld centers. You will need to cut the centers out of two caps too clear the lockouts, I did this on a lathe.

I also have 4 steel wheels with trim rings that were take-offs from a '99 K2500 "classic" crew cab.