Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one run a carb spacer? What do you get from it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by santana, Jun 10, 2004.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Is there a purpose for it? Does the carb perform better? I'm gonna run a new Q-jet and was wondering what the deal was with carb spacers. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't need it, I saw you on the freeway, you don't hot rod your truck, and doubt you will be crawling up hills at higher rpm /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Don't know why but everyone runs them. They are around $25 in the bling section of AutoZone and PepBoys near the carbs and intake manifolds.

-Chris

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you saying he drives slow? haha.

A 4-hole carb spacer isn't going to hurt performance any on the bottom end but will get you about 5hp and 5ftlbs above ~4000rpm. Sometimes people use them for the sole purpose of getting rid of heat soak. The 2 hole or open spacers are only used to increase plenum volume and will hurt low-end performance. Also defeating the purpose of a dual-plane intake.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a cheap 4 hole one I got off ebay for heat soak

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had to put one on the 400 small block in my plow truck to allow the carter afb to fit on the stock quadrajet manifold.
    I had a few hanging around, one was open center with a thin slice of the aluminum left in the center of the hole(like a divided plenum on the intake),the other was the 4 hole style--tried them both,and contrary to what they say about the 4 hole one being better for low end tourque,it dont apply to my 400--I put the open hole divided one back on after trying the other one,between that spacer and putting an open element air cleaner on it feels like 50 more horses easy--in the winter when I have to run a closed air cleaner with the hot air pipe to prevent carb iceing,and I lock in my fan clutch so it wont boilover with the plow on it,it feels more anemic than the 250-6 in my other truck--its amazing how much it cuts the performance and mileage! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Some of the power gain may be due to the carb itself,I suspect--and those spacers suck in the winter,the carb never gets hot enough to keep it from iceing up when its really cold out,makes it run rich and stall a lot--I have to use isopropanol dry gas to keep it running decent enough to make it roadworthy---great in the hot weather though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Check out this article at HotRod.com on carb spacers.

Haven't read the whole thing myself yet, but I think it might help you out.