Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one run exhaust befor rear wheels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 14, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

looking for pics of how you did it..speacially on a long bed pickup...ive been thinking about doing something like this...only thing i ca nsee getting in the way is the gas tank

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just used turn downs after the mufflers. Simple /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i thought about doing that.. i dunno..any one have any idea how loud glass packs and headers are? i want my truck loud but if i want to park it in the driveway it has to be quite like it is. im straight with parking it out in the street if i can keep it louder! i just dont want it to be redicuasly loud. i took my mufflers of the other day..(headers with straight pipes)..uhh i dont think so thats just TO loud lol

4. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i recently tossed my stock exhaust setup for a set of headers with an H pipe into 2 glasspacks dumping above the rear axle with turndowns, and its not too loud at all. in fact at first i thought it was TOO quiet!! cause id been driving around with no muffler at first, & then for 2 weeks open manifolds so i know loud!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif it kinda has that sorta beefy mustang/camaro tone, not too loud till you slam the stupid pedal!! good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

My exhaust exits right in front of the rear wheels. The gas tanks don't get in the way at all, you just need to have a skilled exhaust guy do the work to make sure that the pipes get tucked up real nice. If they hang down then they look goofy. My pipes have 4 slight bends in them from the framerail to the exit to keep them tucked up real good. I have some pics of it but I don't think that they're online, I can look for them tonight.

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

There are different sizes of glasspacks. The longer they are the quieter they get. I think you can get as short as 10" and up to 24", maybe longer. The older they get and the more packing they blow out, the louder they will get also. Choosing the right length for your taste will be key. I would try to run 2 1/2" diameter pipe from the back of the glass pack to the exit (where ever you want it) to make them sound deeper.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh mine is like that on my longbed, Pics in my webshots.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx that would be helpfull..my pipes hang down past the darn frame and it looks so tacky..

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k20...that is JUST what im talking about..i want exactly that setup..now much did that run you..i like the welded stuff better than the clamped stuff to

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im tryin to remember, the 2 flowmasters were like 90 each, cats were like 35 or 40 each, tips were like 15 or 20, and then exhaust shop got paid 170 for all the bending and welding.

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i did mine but i have turbos. ill try to get a pick in the webshots. look in my webshots there might be one.

69k5

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My K5 had headers to cherry bomb(good length) glasspacks. It wasn't overly loud in my opinion. I just put original Flowmaster 40s on it tonight and its a lot louder than the glasspacks. Soudns better to me too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif My flowmasters cost me $90 shipped for 2, 2 1/2".

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If you motor is mainly stock run 2½ (the bigger the pipe the quiter and deeper it is but to big sounds nasty). Dynomax bullet race mufflers are a really nice muffler they are designed like a glasspack but I really like them and have the 24" also Im pretty sure dynomax makes a 32in glasspack

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dump it down and toward the sides after the muffler... dont see much of a reason to route an exhaust anywhere else. behind the rear tire is just a headache... gets in the way when you are doing rear suspension work and the more tube you have the more likely it is to get snagged/smashed by rocks anyway. just dump it after the muff and be happy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Mine used to exit behind the rear tires until the driver's side one got sucked under the tire.

I tried to figure out a way to dump the exhaust before the tire but couldn't come up with a way that limited the bends to no more than 45°.

Right now they dump under the bed in front of the axle. No turndowns. It's noisey at idle and resonates pretty bad with el-cheapo mufflers.

When these pipes rot off I'm going to see about routing them so they dump behind the tire but come through between the frame and the spring with the end of the pipe pointed out and down so it sticks down just below the sheetmetal.

Or I might go to single exhaust since having true duals kind of crowds the truck underneath.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..i dunno i kinda like the look of the exits there but you guys are true snagging COULD happen but i dunno..k20..170 dousnt sound bad.so basicly you just provided them with all the stuff and they put it together for ya!? did they suply the pipe ur...? im thinking just dual 2.5 pipes form the headers and glass packs and putting a turn down at the end of them right at the rear axle. but i was thinking about what u guys said more pipes does seem to be more of a PITA from my previes experience working on my truck. and clammping everything is more of a pita becuase you gatta get everything in right and make sure it dont slip out and its not the easist thing to do!!welding sounds the way to go..and i was thinking some of those thrush turbo glass packs..OR i could through the dynomax turbo mufflers i still have back on it, but i like the tube glass packs cuase they dont take up as much space and there cheap...i cant afford flows right now /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif OK im done lol

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Welding sucks on flange-style headers on a truck. It'd be different if we drove cars but we drive things that flex that are 17' long. I've seen people weld their exhausts and either they go through collector gaskets, header gaskets, or break the headers.

I use regular muffler clamps and tighten them just tight enough not to leak and avoid crushing as much as possible. It allows for some flex.

I have some Dynomax mufflers I bought when I did my exhaust but they didn't fit so I bought some el-cheapo $19.99 Advance Auto ones.

The problem with running duals is there isn't much room. However, if you run single the only place I'd cross over is behind the transfer case because if you do it before it'll rot out too fast plus the sharp bends and potential for dents.

Here's a picture from this spring of the truck underneath as far as space goes:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/carnage/rockhouse-042603/underneath_driverrear.jpg

Here's a picture from this spring of my mangled tailpipe:
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/carnage/rockhouse-042603/benttailpipe1.jpg

18. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Not a P/U but.... [​IMG]
    Headers into a Flowmaster, no cat. Is it quiet, hell no, not even at an idle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Here's another pic of our (Me and Derf's) setup:

[​IMG]

Did it for High clearance and no y-pipe underneath the driveshaft. As you can see a header flange in the top left corner, was welded on so you can easily unbolt the muffler and add a cat, just in case. Yeah, it's loud, but man it's sounds real pissed when I unbolt the muffler /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats pretty clever..did you have that pipe bent up to bolt to the headers?