Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any one running a truck avenger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rodney chambers, Jul 27, 2005.

1. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

i have a truck avernger on my 350. seems to have developed a flat spot from idle. i think this is a lean condition but i am not sure. HELP!!!

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ive got one.. tough to adjust.... I havent really gotten down to it yet to adjust it correctly.... I have my timing set to 1200rpm's... for some reason now and then when I pull up to a light... it will drop down to 400rpm's.... as if the motor is being flooded..... :doah: I had the rpm's lower but couldnt keep the truck running....

I gotta figure this out... but it is 1/2 way down my list.... :crazy:

I dont really care that it does this because under WOT she screams.. I love this carb so far.... I just think that I too dont have it adjusted right....
    still trying to bleed my hydro clutch.. may have it working a bit.. enough for me to get it to my mechanics... so he can bleed the clutch the rest of the way.. and I will get him to adjust my carb too.... hate paying people to do stuff... but only when it is stuff that I am having problems with... hell I put the entire hydro setup in myself.... :bow:

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a problem with idle with my holley..it loaded up too.
    the linkage was sticking...from mud...
    I cleaned the outside of the carb...and used silicone spray lube on the linkage.

Check that.

4. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

I have one and it seems a little flat right off idle also. I just have not have time to fool around with it. Do a search. There were some other guys that called Holley tech support with the same problem. I don't remember what the remedy was but they fixed the problem.

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need to change the pump cam that will most likely fix the problem.

6. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I agree sound like a pump cam , the one you carb came with has 2 screw holes so you have 2 settings. try moving it to the second screw hole and re adjust the arm

7. RootBreaker

I dont know anything about carbs... second screw hole?
    ill have to look at that...

8. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

ok , if you look at the front left hand side of the carb there is a little arm and a bolt with a spring around it. if you follow the one arm back towards the throttle linkage you will see a little colored cam, usually pink or orange but somtimes blue ,green or black.now if you look how it is mounted there are 2 screw holes next to each other.take the screw out of hole #1 , move the cam a little bit till the second hole is lined up with the cam hole and put the screw in the second hole. Now you are goin ot have to adjust the accelerator pump arm( Bolt with spring around it) so that is has the correct throw. usually they are a 3/8ths and 5/16ths wrench. adjust it so that the head of the bolt is just touching the arm.

I know tihs may sound a little complicated but it is reallt very simple just take a good look at it 1st and you should be able to do it in about 5-10 min.

9. RootBreaker

thanks will do!!!!

so is it that philips head that you see here?
    [​IMG]

also
    then adjust the spring.. red spring
    [​IMG]

10. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

yeah the Flat headed crew, see a pictures is worth a thousand words.. or at least a paragraph...

good luck

11. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

i talked to holley tech support, they said they had recieved same complaint before. didnt have a fix other than send it in.NOT!!! i talked with dyno perfomance and they told me the street avenger had the same problem. the fix is to tweek the pump linkage down just a little bit. have not tried it yet but it sure sounded good. i adjusted the cam and it seemed to load up at idle.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Bummer, we will see how the 400 w/770 truck avenger works when/if I ever get it installed....

13. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i dont have a truck avenger but i had a similar problem with a reman 650cfm i bought. it was probably set up for a lighter car.
    what ended up solving my problem was changing the accel pump cam to one that had less of a slope(orange) you have to buy an assortment pack (20-12) that has like eight different cams but you'll be able to set it up properly.

as mine was just a car carb i also had to change the discharge nozzle to one that had a smaller orifice. i dont remember what size i ended up using(ill look if you care but .028 seems familiar) but with the cam and the nozzle i was able to slow down the discharge and make it last longer which really helped on my crew cab.

it wasn't perfect but i really dont thing that the 30CC pump volume is enough for a truck. maybe on something lighter like a camaro or monte, but not on a truck. i'm putting a 50CC kit on it when i stick it all in my burb, i'll prob have to rework the cam and nozzle again but i want it to work well.

mine came with the "Anti Pullover" style that has a shroud to prevent vaccum from emptying the pump but i didn't have any problem with the straight type. i only went with the straight type because my speed shop didn't have the A/P style in the right size, i meant to get the A/P style but i never had any problem so i left well enough alone

it took a little trial and error but you can figure it out, just change the cams till you dont notice any improvement, and then try the nozzle and do the same thing, once you find the nozzle go back and try the next steepest cam. as most of the cams have 2 or 3 screw holes you some times have to change the screw location to find the best setup, ie: the cam has the right function when you floor it at speed but not at idle, or it works well off idle but not at speed.

kinda suprises me that holley said said send it in. a blind retarded monkey could rebuild one. aside from this and a jet/metering block change i havent had to do much to keep mine running great. however the first reman i bought, started leaking fuel from the primary shaft seal (prob to much return spring pressure) but i got it warrentied out(reman has same warr as new too), moved my return spring mount, and havent had any trouble since.