Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any One Running Ford D60 Bearing Hubs On A Chevy D60???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Dec 10, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If you do or know of someone who does, let me know! I need some questions answered.
    Curious on what it takes to make it work, where you can get the spindle/hub spacer, brackets for the dual piston calipers, etc. And how much $$$$$$ we are talking[​IMG]
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90blzr on 12/10/01 01:21 PM.</FONT></P>

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

why?
    just curious...

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I guess because Fords had dual piston calipers. Never heard anyone complain about the brakes on a GM 60, but I guess he's just trying to be different

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

that is what i figured too,
    but would like to know for sure,
    60 interchange stuff interests me

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

ford and chevy dana 60s use the same inner and outer wheel bearings, BUT the reason the hubs and spindles DO NOT interchange is that the ford spindle is shorter, as well as the stub shaft, and hub.

ken

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

what about brake stuff?
    do the caliper brackets or spindles or rotors interchange

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, long story short. I traded my dually hubs for a set of SW hubs. Turned out I got Ford D60 SW hubs instead of Chevy. Just trying to look into all my options. This is what I do know/have heard:

The Ford hubs ARE shorter which is why you cant use Chevy rotors, stubs, etc., they wont line up. Ken is right, all of the bearings, seals, etc. are the same. From what I am told, Ford had Dana/Spicer make their hubs different from Dodge and Chevy (which are the same) by making them shorter on the back bearing side, which makes them stronger, less stress on the wheel bearings. Make sense? So some guys I am told actually convert over to the Ford hubs from the Chevy/Dodge for this reason. The ONLY difference from the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford bearing hubs, are that the Ford hubs are 5/8" shorter on the back bearing side. Well at least in the 80's. I 'think' before that Dodge used external lockout hub, if I remember reading right[​IMG]

Now, in order to use the Chevy stubs, rotors and calipers with the Ford hubs, supposedly there is an adpater/spacer that extends the spindle. I would also have to change the wheel stud diameter, since the Ford studs are a bit smaller than Chevy.

What I am trying to find out, is how I would run the dual piston caliper on the Chevy rotor etc. I am told there is a bracket to do this, but I cant seem to find it. I also need to know who makes the spacer that extends the spindle to mount the Chevy rotors, calipers, etc.

This might sound like a lot more trouble than its worth, and it might be. But I want to know for sure what would work and what wont and why. I figure someone out there must have done this, so hopefully they can answer some of my questions. No harm in trying to learn a little[​IMG][​IMG]

There is a used Chevy D60 on the ORC board right now for sale with Ford hubs, calipers etc. for $1800 so I e-mailed him, but they just changed over everything..rotors, spindle, I think, and calipers, so no custom brackets were required.

8. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Oh Man! I am running Ford hubs on a GM D-60 in my M1009, first off the reason I did this was that I took the steering knuckles off of a Ford HP D-60 and put the steering knuckles and everything out from a GM D-60 on the Ford axle so I could run the 35spline stub shafts which are to long for the Ford hubs/spindles.
    The GM set-up is much stronger than the Ford, GM spindles are 6bolt and Fords are 5bolt also the GM rotors are way thicker than Fords and they also may have a bigger diameter also.
    So basically I swapped ALL the Ford stuff from the king-pins out onto the GM 60, you will also have to use the Ford stub shaft on the GM inner axles.I have put over a thousand miles on the Blazer with the GM/Ford front end and have no problems with this set-up and I was able to put a pile of Ford parts and a GM60 missing those bearing hubs(about $400ea new/impossible to find used) to good use!

I think you would be better off if you could do what I did but probably wont find the Ford stuff either,I dont see how you could space your spindle out 5/8", I think that the spindle rabbit fits into the knuckle about a 1/4". I put a Ford hub on a GM spindle and it would not tighten down because the outter bearing hit the stop on the spindle outter bearing before the bearing was against the race.I didnt spend much more time on it but MAYBE you could have the spindle outter bearing journal turned down 5/8" farther and use a spacer that would hold the bearing tight because there is not enough threads to reach down that deep.

All this is not worth the hassle in my opinion and I would try to get your dually hubs back and have them converted like some other have done or come up with the right hubs some how!

RGF