Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one running Hawgs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 23, 2001.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone was running the Ground or Mud Hawgs? I am looking to get either the 38.5x15x16.5 Hawgs or the 38.5x14.5x16.5 SX's. I know the TSL's are legendary, but ppl say the hawg's last a long while. anyone know how they do in various terrain (mud, sand, rock)? as always and suggestions appreciated.

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ground Hawgs are only so so in mud. Seem to be a little slippery. I have seen people take a tire iron to them and make them much better.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I have ever heard the GH having a good wear characteristic. Due to the fact that most are the bias ply. Yeah, I know they have the radials too. [​IMG]

Another thing to ask yourself: do you need a tire that is a "directional" tire or not? GH's are directionals, so, they may be good in mud, but only going one way. [​IMG]

If it were me, I would shy away from GH's and look at the Gumbo Mudders, which was GH's main competition for years. The GM's are available in bias and radial plies too. They also share the same choices in tire sizes too. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. four_by_ken

I have not had good experience with Gumbo Monster Mudders at all. I would rather have the Ground Hawgs. With the Gumbos I went 50ft in the pits... went to barrowed Boggers and full run same pit. Swampers have the market.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would pick the Boggers any day! [​IMG]

I know those are directionals, but their lugs offer more voids and spaces than the GH's do. Plus, the Boggers are way more aggressive!

Hands down, Boggers win!!! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i agree but how can i fit 39.5x18x16.5 boggers under my truck with a 7" lift and trimming? I think now is the time to point out that this is my daily driver. it was to run every monday and still keep me from getting stuck. I also make runs to pismo beach and hope to rock krawl someday. if boggers came in 38.5x14.5x16.5 i would just about cry with happiness all the way to hollister hills enroute to the rubicon by way of moab [​IMG] but alas...only 37x13 [​IMG] need a bit more to keep the big 14bff from high centering

-Zakk

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Zakk I am running Hawgs....I have had these things for years ...switching them from truck to truck.. They DO last a long time. I have no problems in the goo or sand. If you are running a less than par engine/stock with big meats of course your going get stuck.... Boggers are directional I dont care what people say...Find a grove in the road and they WILL follow it just like a Hawg will. Boggers and Hawgs were made to be modified to suit your needs with a tire iron. I am going to sipe mine come nov. I have 38.5x15x15 Hawgs with a 6" lift and triming done by Boss. If your into mud and dont like the +/-35k you'll get from daily driving boggers plus even more noise than you really want go with the Hawgs. If yu are into rocks then airing down could be a problem...the side walls of the Hawgs arent protected like the TSL/SX so that is some side wall that could get gashed...but the compare that side wall width to the Bogger and then its your call.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Nice to hear a testimonial from someone who ACTUALLY HAS the product in question. Hawgs are hard compound and wear a Long time.

Here is an interesting link:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://performanceunlimited.com/customservices/tiregrooming.html>http://performanceunlimited.com/customservices/tiregrooming.html</a>

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that is insane! [​IMG]
    now i know where the '72 burban in this years 2001 TTC got those "paddle" boggers. i bet those are what helped him get a full pull out of the hollister mud pit. thanks for the link. that one got bookmarked [​IMG]

-Zakk

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i also run 38.5 hawgs. i ve been lucky enough to pick up two sets of four (one on rims) for $100 a set. both sets had around 1/2-3/4 tread, and ran sweet. i can't even contemplate what a NEW set would do. they are directional and WILL drive themselves, it's kinda an adventure. they also sing a lot. at 60 mph the radio is useless. but besides the downfalls in creature comforts, they are spectacular. ive run trails mud and jersey sand, and had no problems in any. sometimes i run em in 2wd just to really test em. they are awesome. ive only had them for over a year and run them less then 7000 miles, but iv'e had no tread loss problems whatsoever. just some facts from someone who knows, not an assumption by someone that thinks.......

Tork DSR
    "Easy killer. That's technology you talk of..."
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

11. four_by_ken

I have driven both... same truck same bog, same day.

Boggers are much better than Hawgs. And I have driven Hawgs and TSLs same place, same truck, but differant days. TLSs are also a better off road tire. I dont look at street manners at all. So, I cant compare them. Plus, my tires last a LONG time whatever brand since I only drive them on the street to get to the trial.

Oh, to add someting else... if you are not real careful with tire pressure, they wear REAL funny. Alll kinds of cupping and strange angles and such.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

No first hand experience driving with the Hawgs, but here is a few things...

They seem to have a really hard rubber compound which gives longer life of the tread, but reduces overall traction. I have had two friends run these tires so this is second hand info, one had 35x14's on a street truck and said they were pretty scary on wet roads, the other tried a set on a Toyota set up for the trail and did not like them and switched to Swampers of the same size..he claimed the Swampers worked much better......

Concerning the directional nature of the Hawgs and Boggers, I think people take it a little too far. It's not like the tires are just going to spin helplessly anytime you back up. There is probably only a small amount of actual traction difference between forward and reverse. The directional nature helps more with self-cleaning of the tread as it will tend to push the mud/dirt to the outside of the tire, running them in reverse will tend to push the mud towards the center of the tire.....but again I believe you would only see a fairly minor difference overall.

13. four_by_ken

Boggers do slide quite a bit left to right though.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Oh yeah! They get great straight line traction though.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I have 40" ground hawgs and the SUCK for driving on the street, IMO. They kick a lot of mud around but seemed to slip alot on rocks, but I probely had to much air in them? I need to get some swampers instead.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

16. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I have run the actual tires in question on the same truck and two different trucks at the same time. These tires would be the Ground hawgs and TSL SX's. First same truck both tires 38.5's just the tires and size that the question asked about. The Hawgs have a lot harder rubber and wear much slower then the SX's, The probably lasted twice as long and made a lot less noise. I currently have about 30,000 on the SX's and they need replacment. On the trail the SX's grab every thing and pull you up and over, The Hawgs are so hard that even aired down slip on rocks, tree routs and packed earth. The side walls on the SX's really help with traction. I have seen the tires off the ground and just the sidewalls pulling the truck with no noticable cuts or damage. The Hawgs just slide and looked so cut up that I was Affraid to drive them any more. AS for car crushing The SX's just pull up and over the Hawgs slip and spin and get cut all to hell on the twisted metal. A few months back we took a 44 inch Ground Hawg equiped truck in the mud pit and got it stuck. It looked like it was easy to back out but the directional pattern had no traction in reverse and they looked like glazed donuts all the time. I went in with an almost identical truck (same engine, trans, gears) and with 38 .5 inch SX's I pulled out the big Hawgs, moved all over fowards and back and drove around the truck with out getting stuck, also just hit the throttle and the tires cleaned out. I loved the SX's so much that Now I want the big bad Bogger Beast in 39.5's