Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one running IFS out there?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Nov 27, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Jul 8, 2001
    I have a 92 Chevy Blazer K1500 and I was wondering if anyone out there is running IFS with a lift kit? I have been talking to some people and only one person I know of has had a bad time with IFS. I have seen other people out on the trail running IFS Chevy trucks. So I know some people do run it.
    Can you tell me what problems you have had? Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions on IFS.

Thanks guys
  2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Feb 2, 2001
    IFS trucks are fine for the mild offroading (ok... how bout a dirt road then [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL).

I used to have a 90 GMC pickup and it was great truck. But overall the two biggest problems I had with it was
    1. CV Shafts suck! Especially if you put a lift on
    2. The ground clearence is absolutly nil.

And I don't wheel all that hard compared to a lot of the members here. The best advantage I see is their steering is setup much better. But other then that I'd want a straight axle anyday! Simple, easy to lift, half decently strong... I think the whole ride issue is over done. One it is a truck and not a caddy so it is fine with me to ride like a truck... also since I went to the BDS springs my ride is awsome. Equal to if not better then the IFS rig.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>
  3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Dec 16, 2000
    Not fond of it based on the cost to do a lift with ifs... it's crazy expensive. Also would rather hit a trail head on with a solid axle then ifs....I know lots of folks run ifs, have great luck and love it, but I simply don't have that kind of cash to spend to do it (I'd rather use that left over cash for other toys)..... Anything I would ever own and plan to wheel will be solid axles all the way....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!
  4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    While it isn't lifted, the IFS on our '94 Suburban doesn't have much travel. It doesn't take much to get it to lift a front wheel in the air and lose all traction up front. [​IMG] Gotta get pretty creative with the gas and brake pedals to get it to move forward with one tire off the ground. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...
  5. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

May 9, 2001
    I've been through both on my '95 Z. SFA and IFS that is. If you are going to offroad it and keep the IFS 35x14.50s are the MAX tire you want. Anything else and it will just fall apart. Even then you will be replacing every part in the front every year. I had 35x14.50s. It would never stay aligned for more than a week. The suspension geometry is just thrown way off. You can hit a speed bump and one tire will turn out to the left and the other to the right. That was probably from worn out components but anyways... If you are even thinking that the trail capabilities of an IFS rig are close to an SFA forget about it. Nothing beats an SFA off the road. The IFS will ride better on the road. It really just depends where you are going to spend most of your time. I also think that you would actually save more money in the long run doing a SFA. That's just my opinion though. Oh... if you were looking for any good thought about IFS this was probably not the place to post[​IMG]