Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one use a motorhome as a tow rig.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jan 19, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I might be able to trade my minivan for an old motorhome. It has a 454/TH400/D70 rear. Its kinda ratty but I think it would make a good tow rig. I believe its 35 feet? Any way I might be buying an 18' trailer and would haul it with the motorhome. Would this require a CDL? Any one have good luck towing with a big old motorhome?

2. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

i had an old titan motorhome once, a 78 with the dodge drivetrain, it was 28 feet, was like driving a big van, got used to it pretty quick, didnt need a cdl here, dont know about other states though. as far as towing, i see motorhomes around here towing boats, cars, i guess it would depend on how much weight you got on the axles after you put water, fuel, groceries, people and everything else you carry in a motorhome, then add the weight of the trailer to see if you are overweight or not. good luck, they are fun to have /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I know of a couple that use them to tow with and as far as I know you don't need a CDL.

4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I was thinking about the same thing. I know you don't have to have a cdl. A cdl is a commercial drivers license(which I have). As long as nobodys paying you to drive it, have at it. There's a guy here that wants to sell me a 77 winnebago for 1200, but it would take at least that much more to make me trust it.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I guess I am just afraid of how long everything is going to be. 35' for the motorhome, then 18' feet for the trailer...I just know I am going to cut some corner too short and rip off the nose of some geo metor or something!

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

53' is just short of the smaller tractor trailers... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My grandpa had a 40 foot and he pulled a small truck so in all it was about 55-60 feet long complete. He never really had any problems with it. Even took it through a McDonalds drive through once /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Thats an event that the drive through window lady will never forget /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

You don't need CDL motorhome .Drove part time last year for people doing state fairs all over U S .There is a 65ft rule.If your rig is over 65ft the trailer part can be 42ft.I got nailed in FLA at 66ft,LWB superduty and 53ft house{LQ}.Most states exempt motorhomes cause they are personal transportation.Cost my boss 1000& {not me}and rig was legal on SWB .Didn't need CDLs cause weight was under 23,000lb.I have 26ft mthme {70 Mobilux}with 350,400turbo to pull my truck sometimes and it works very well.Sleeps better than a tent to. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just be careful on the weight issues. I have looked at getting a motor home to tow my K-5 on a trailer. What I found was that most motorhomes are only rated to tow about 5500 pounds. To me it is not enough. I am currently looking to get a one ton dually to use as a tow rig. I will also try getting a slide in camper for sleeping. I think a slide in camper on a one ton dually is much better for camping and using as a tow rig.

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

My mtrhme is built on a 1 ton GM by Mobilux.It's a 1970 model built in Colorado.Don't know if the company axists now.Been in our family since 77 and does a good job for me.I like the generator{5500 watts Onan}and living space when in mtns for week or two at time.Wouldn't mind ton for tow rig though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Wow your worried about a cdl whith that. One of the guys i know tows a 25' trailer whith a crew cab! Thats aproching 50' long /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I think the motor home should work well enough it will be heavier than what your towing and thats the important part.