Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one use "pusher" electrical fans?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Dec 30, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Any one use \"pusher\" electrical fans?

I am going to take off the mechanical fan and install an electric setup. I have the 16" ford 2 speed that I heard good things about and I got some other smaller ones. I am thinking about running 2 as "pushers". But as I think about it, what if like bugs, rocks, and mud fly in the grill and hit the fan. And when I wash it, would it cause problems. Does anyone have any tips for running a set of pushers?
    Brent

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Any one use

Yea dont. Run that ford fan as a puller and you will be happy. I run the ford fan on my Firebird and it doesnt overheat here in AZ in traffic in the summer. The hottest mine has ever gotten was 110 in the middle of summer.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Any one use \"pusher\" electrical fans?

Running electric fans as a pusher derates their cooling capability by about 15%. Mount them as pullers if at all possible.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am for sure going to run the 16" ford fan as a puller, but a hot rod buddy of mine says the one fan wont be enough and Ill need to run the one puller and 2 pushers. I am thinking with out the condenser in there and I have a new radiator (2 or 3 row, not the good one) that the one would be ok...I am only running 250-300hp with a SBC.

5. HarryH3

My TPI 383 runs cool with 2 pullers. But that's just dragging the K5 around. I've never towed with it. Towing can create low speed, high engine stress situations. This is when you need to be moving serious amounts of air. [​IMG] Idling along Colorado moutain trails in 4 Lo doesn't put much stress on the engine. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I think DD and I are running the same fan, he lives in AZ. I live in Fla. 2 of the hottest states in the country. I dont have any cooling problems either. In fact my rig hasnt been above 160 deg. yet, (w/ a 2 row radiator.) and I drive it 30 plus miles to work. The temp just in the last week got below 80s -90s. (dont believe the weather channel...they say its been in the 70s to low 80s LOL!)

BTW I run my fan on low speed right now. I havent got the A/C working yet, and dont need hi speed. When the A/C is hooked up, I will have it go to hi when the A/C kicks on.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Mines from a thunderbird super coupe. I havent used high speed yet (still need to hook it up) and I dont have ac anymore. I did with a mechanical fan and it never got above 110 with the mechanical fan.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Mines from a 4.6 'Bird. Prob the same fan. The shroud on the fan doesnt quite cover the whole radiator core. Theres about an inch or two on both sides.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna ask a stupid question-- but what the heck are you guys talking about? pusher's and puller's???? You mount fan's in your engine compartment other than the one that is already there? Why? I think I'm missing something? HELP!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

They're referring to whether the fan is mounted in front of the radiator or behind it. In front mounting is a pusher because it pushes the air thru the radiator cooling fins. Mounted behind will pull the air thru, hence the name "puller".

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

But why do you put them in? I haven't ever heard of that, and don't think I have seen it either- I would have noticed I think? sorry for the ignorance- blame it on my hormones!

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

12. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

replacing an engine driven fan with an electric one is usually done to free up the horsepower the fan is robbing from the engine, other advantages would be: it is only used when needed (controlled by a temperature switch, unlike the engine driven fan), the vehicle is quieter because an aggressive fan causes a lot of noise at higher rpm's, you can turn it off when 4-wheelin in mud or water to prevent fan from sucking mud or water into radiator core and plugging it up, multiple fans can cool better/faster than one engine fan in some cases ( the fan motors always turn the same rpm, so you still get good airflow when the engine is idling). Did I forget anything guy's?

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>

13. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

You did good 95 Silverado. Another advantage is faster warmups in the morning because you don't have an engine fan moving cold air by the engine/radiator. Faster you get engine to 180-190, less wear and tear on pistons and cylinders you have. Nothing wears piston rings faster than a cold engine.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I guess the reason I am doing it is because of the body lift. The mechanical fan is real close to the tranny lines now and I guess this is my excuse to spend more cash on cool gadgets[​IMG]

15. HarryH3

Gee, seems to me that it would be a LOT cheaper to just re-route the tranny lines! [​IMG]

16. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I dont know, All 4 fans including the ford fan cost me $50 off of ebay[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. HarryH3

Tranny lines cost about $5 each. [​IMG]

Make sure you mount the fans to a solid point. Those stupid tie-wrap gadgets that push through the radiator will just saw holes in the radiator tubes. [​IMG]

18. Parf

Parf Registered Member

One other thing, on some vehicles you could have a situation during a water crossing where the engine mounted fan gets flexed foreward by the pressure of the water, and rips out the core of your radiator. I don't know how easily this could happen to our K5's, but lots of other groups (Land Cruisers, Jeeps, to name a couple) do worry about this.

<font color=blue>Parf</font color=blue>
    1984 K5 Jimmy 4x4 Sierra Classic
    6.2L diesel, 700R4