Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one used POR 15 Products

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, May 29, 2004.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at using it in many ways and wanted to hear any + and/or -.... Let me hear um......

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

did my frame and axles with por15, Great products

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

How long ago did you finish it? How's it holding up? What did you use over the POR-15? Chassis Coat, BlackCote or what? Can you send me some pic's?

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

have on protective clothing (gloves, paper mask, long sleeve shirt....) and safety glasses when you use this stuff - if it gets on you, the only thing that will get it off is time. read and follow the directions; its not your standard paint. imo - good stuff...

POR post

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard nothing but good things about POR15. It has been discussed alot before and most all the stuff said is positive.

Harley

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have used it and dont care for it. I have painted a few parts, along with my frame, and the floor board of my 2wd. It peeled off the frame. They say nothing takes it off, but brake fluid does. Another thing, if you want it to saty nice and gloss black, dont get your hopes up, it gets really dull and never gets shiny again. I think regular old Rustoleum is just fine!

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did you go all the way to bare metal when you started?

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, I followed the instructions, exactly.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I use POR-15 on just about everything.

The ONLY problems I've had is that it is not very tolerant of UV (sunshine) and it turns grey unless you cover it with some paint.

POR-15 rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif But you need to follow the application instructions or it will turn out to be an expensive mess. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use POR15 a few times, It goes on like a stain and dries like engine enamle. It doesn't like new and clean steel. If you have bare metal you are supose to use their metal etch spray, never used that.I have used both the silver and black. Here is the inside of my hood in Por15 Black
    [​IMG]
    And yes it takes several days for it to wear off your hands and any clothing it gets on is permenante.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I did my trailer with it, basically ignoring their instructions, kind of as a test to see how it would work.

I used "expanded metal" on the trailer, so it is very hard to coat, hard to prep, and hard to cover well. The metal was as bare as it came from the metal supplier (probably had mill scale on it) but had been outside for a year or two, so some decent rust forming, but not really pitted, just a light surface coating.

I just brushed the paint on thick so it would run into the places I missed, and left it at that.

After about two years now, it is still sticking to the trailer no problem. No large flat surfaces though, so peeling issues probably aren't going to be seen in my case no matter what.

Definitely affected by UV. It lightened up considerably (I think I got semi-flat black, or flat if thats all they offer, I know it isn't gloss) but that didn't seem to weaken it any.

I don't personally believe it's a miracle paint, I've also tried one-step I think it was, and wasn't really impressed with it. I'm of the opinion that there really is no "magic paint", since every application is likely to be different in one way or another (humidity, temp, prep, application technique, material painting, etc.) results probably vary with every use.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I'm not sure that a rattle can, or another brush on product wouldn't work any better.

For home-applied coatings (of any type) I think we still have a LONG ways to go before we are able to protect things like manufacturers can with ceramic coatings, urethane dips, and so on.

13. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

I've had good luck with it. I followed their directions and used their cleaner and metal prep. Then put on one coat of black, followed by gray (so that I could tell where I had been) and finished with chassis coat. I had better luck with a foam brush than with a bristle brush and it also sprayed well.

14. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

I used the stuff on my frame and it worked great would recommend it to anyone that wants a paint coating that is gonna last this stuff is it . if u read their directions it says it will fade in the sun that is why u need to top coat it. I used their chassis coat black looks great just like it was painted at the factory

Kevin