Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any one who has done a 1 ton swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by offroadcowboy, Oct 31, 2004.

1. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

I need some help figuiring out a few things.First off.I have a 87 blazer with a 44 and a 12.I have Hill4 wheel drive shackles up front with either 4" or 6" superlift springs.Out back is ORD 4" shackle flip with zero rates and /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif springs .My questions are when you did the swap did the dana 60 give any extra lift(3/4"?) because of the perches and/or because of the difference in the axle tube diameter and perches ?And if it did my thoughts are to have some perches made for the back that give 3/4" lift to offset what the front gives.Does this sound reasonable?I believe that a 60 axle tube dia is 3 1/8" plus 1/4? for perch height ? And a 14 is 3 3/8" axle tube dia plus 1/4 " perch height stock.I just want to do it right the first time and not have my blaze either jacked up to high n the rear or sagging .Any help is aprreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I know the D60gives you less than 1" of lift but I am not sure on just how much. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

D60's are very touchy when it comes to pinion angle and caster I believe it is. You may have to shim the pinion on the D60 to get the tires to sit up straight. Matt (az-k5) had to do this to his D60 when he installed it with 4" front springs and extended shackles.

They are also very sensitive to toe in and toe out. His truck looked like the baja trucks do at first when he got the axle in. The front tires sat
    like /---\ . He had to adjust toe and shim the springs to get it to sit |---|.

As for the D60 having thicker perches, yes I believe it does. I believe the 14bff does too. For some reason though I think the D60 perches are a little taller then the 14bff purches.

Harley

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I swapped from a D44 to a D60 up front and it gave me around 1/2"-3/4" of lift.
    In the rear i swapped from a 12 bolt to a 14ff and i grinded off the stock perches, and bought some beefy solid steel machined perches from rockjunkies on this site about 2 years ago. I gained about the same in the rear, 3/4".
    My springs are 6" front/8" rear skyjacker softrides.. It sits right about level when the hard top is on, and when the top is off it is slightly higher in the back. I hate the saggy butt k5's so i'd rather be a little raked and higher in the back so i can see over the hood better. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Also when i swapped in my 1 ton axles, i throught that the pinion yoke length was the same so the driveshaft length wouldn't change but it did.. I had to use the 1" offset in my rear perches, moving it back so the d-shaft would be the same length. In the front, the pinion yoke seemed longer as well, and i really should shorten my front driveshaft now. I upgraded to a 1410 yoke on the rear 14 bolt, and a 1350 yoke on the D60 front so this might be the reason? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I also fully rebuilt my axles, then put on around 5K miles on my 1 ton axles before i developed any hint or sign of deathwobble.. My hydro assist helps cancel out the vibes when the wobble wants to start and almost gets rid of DW.

Good luck with your swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for the input guys.

ryan B.
    Is there any sure cure for deathwobble?

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Perches are a fair bit taller then 1/4"