Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any options for headliners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Dec 14, 2006.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

The cloth on the headliner is off and now the foam crap keeps snowing down on me. Any options other than having someone replace it? I would rather spend the cash on the mechanical upgrades.

Also, wife is having trouble into the burb after I took the running boards off. Has anyone built a homebrew fold down step?

What about installing an OS handle for passanger side?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is what I did. Look here also. Simple and cheap.

3. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

Not sure what cbbr links were about (just got done with a final and dont wanna read much)

But some fabric stores carry cloth that has padding on the back of it...buy that and get some spray adhesive. Get all the old foam crap off the cardboard and then spray on the adhesive and apply the new foamed cloth on...

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

Excellent ideas guys. To get the sag out of it, do I need to take the whole thing down and spray the top also? CBBR, I tryed to open the picture in your first link but it would not open it. I did see the picture in the second link and it looks vey good. I have some of the same camo material left over from my wife making curtains for somebody. 3M adhesive huh? I'll pick some up on the way home. Thanks again.

Someone in another post said you are the suburban man if I had any ??? . When I go to member status,I might have to bug you some more.:bow:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take out the headliner before you spray the 3m stuff (Super 77 IIRC). It makes wicked bad fumes. And sticks to everything. Spray both the material and the headliner, let both dry for a minute and smooth the material on. Let it all dry before installation.

6. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

hey guys i once had a headliner fixed up by an upholstery guy, i just took it out and took it to him, cost me about 70 bucks and it looked like i bought it brand new. i think this time i am going to do it myself though.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I took mine out in my old K5 thinking I'd re-do it. But once it was out, I liked the bare, painted metal better, and left it that way.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I was going to replace the whole headliner with maconite (sp) the 1/8 compsit wood that is smooth on one side, hex head screw it in and paint it for a tough fix.