Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any other machinists here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Jun 7, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

just wondering how many out there are machinists like myself that are members. what kind of shops does anyone work at, job shops, production, protype, whatever. i have 15+ years as a machinist in cnc mills and lathes and all conventional equipment and have surface grinding expeirence. i also do all the welding in the shop. currently leadman at a conventional only production/tooling/prototype shop. we are a FAA certified repair shop, so our "production" parts are repairable parts. we dont make parts from scratch just tooling to run parts in the machine shop and our grind shop and spray shop. we are primarely a plasma spray shop for most all other industries. any fellow machinist out there? :)

2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I do maintenance and can run a mill, lathe and such. But i am slow since i stay away from this work and usually do other maintenance from the working on robots (panasonic or fanuc), welders, injection molding and fiberglass sheet molding machines. I would rather do hyd or mechanical maintenance than the machining stuff.

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Work at a small job shop that does production, prototype and R&D. Shop forman with 10 years of cnc lathe and cam driven screw machine experiance. Manual knee mill, engine lathe, suface grinding and turret lathes also. I'm the welder here too. Programming, set-up, operater and maintenance, do time studies for quoting new work. Only thing I'm not is the boss, think I need to work on that one :laugh:

4. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been working four years at a CNC shop making clutches and starters. I still have a lot to learn.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

hay guys thanks for the replies. i love being a machinist, knowing how to make most anything. knowing how to weld and fab to. alot of my friends are allways asking me to make stuff or help fab stuff, its a great trade and skill to have. ive made everything from toys to F-16 parts, helicopter, satalite parts, racecar parts, you name it. parts for DisneyLand rides, rocket parts for our countries deffence. i worked for a shop where we made hubs and axles and other parts for formula 1 and cart racing cars. we supplied about 70 % of the teams in cart racing and alot of the F1 teams in Europe. it was pretty cool. our hubs we made had 4 different diameters that had plus/minus .0001 tol. that was fun. i took a guys job there cause he could not hold to that tight a tollerence. not what i wanted to do, but he couldnt deal with the tight stuff ane all our parts were tight tol. parts, my boss said he allways gave this guy plus/minus .002 stuff. it was all 300M steel, tough stuff on inserts. that was the first shop that i had gotten away from aerospace/aircraft parts. i should have stayed there but after awile i left for more money. now the shop i work at has no cnc, i miss it cause of the technology, but i dont miss the pressure of cnc production. i dig the dificult close tol. conventional stuff we do here. it can be chalenging work. im trying to talk my boss into atleast a cnc tool room mill and lathe to do some of our tooling faster. hope to get that soon.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  6. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

I have worked as an aerospace machinist for 26 years. Currently running CNC ID/OD grinders and am certified as a QA inspector, but have done most everything, lathes, mills, gear grinding equipment. Stuff even most machinists have not even heard of. We manufacture gas turbine engines, propulsion as well as APU's. I work in the gear manufacturing department. I also have a lathe at home and build titanium goodies for street bikes on the side.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

im a mchinist , about 5 years total experience . i work in a job shop in so cal that does mainly ag repair ,trucking ,geo thermal ,canal pump , work for the gypsum plant , and whatever anyone brings in really .

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm just graduating from high school Friday, and my second year in an Industrial Manufacturing class. I've got experience on a Haas Mini-mill, a Dyna 3-axis CNC, an Intellitek 3-axis CNC, and a manual mill. I've gained a lot out of the class, and have scholarships to go into the Power Plant Operation course at the local college.