Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Pics of Zero Rate Springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trukman1, Apr 18, 2002.

1. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

I keep seeing the posts about zero rate springs and even read ORD's description. Still don't quite understand. Seems to me it would place U-bolts at an angle or be off-centered somewhere in the stack. I just don't fully understand but it sounds like a fix that I could use if I could just picture this thing in my head...or see some pics of them actually installed. Thanks, Gary

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

here you go.

3. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

4. Esteban86K5

5. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Guys, Thanks for the quick response. However, it looks to me like these are either add-a-leafs or "zero springs" in the stock position (same thing). What I'm trying to see is the offset spring application. I may be missing some pics here. I am trying to move my rear diff 1 1/2" rearward and the front 1" forward. Seems like it wouldn't line up the same as in stock location. Is it me or are these all in the stock location? Thanks for your patience. I still can't picture the offsets. Gary

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

donimators pics show them used in the offset position on a d60 front...i know its not a rear but its used the same way.

Later

7. Esteban86K5

The first pictures that I posted are with the offset in use. It is an inch further back. If you look at the picture that ORD has up on his website of the A-A-L with the 3 holes. Well the first hole is a 1.5 inch offset. the hole in the middle is the stock location and the last hole is the 1 inch offset. What you do is bolt in a spring pin that they provide in the stock location.(middle) You cut the back side of the bolt so that it won't protrude further that the back of the A-A-L. This way it will sit flush with the spring pack. Then remove the bolt that holds your spring pack together and bolt the A-A-L with another bolt that they provide in either the 1or 1.5 inch offset. So Once it's bolted on and you look at it from the side, the bolt on the bottom will look offset from the bolt on the top. And finally when you put your top plate back on with the u-bolts, you will have to drill a new hole in it to accomodate the offset.
    I had a hard time "picturing" this in my head at first too, but then it hit me and I could see clearly. You'll picture it and then say "Is that It?"

8. Esteban86K5

9. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Now I get It! I just wasn't thinking two pins! Thanks guys...this was really frustrating me then BANG it made sense! Thanks for taking the time to help me understand this one. Now that I see what your talking about it looks so simple but hard heads are tough to drill information into. Thanks Again. Gary!

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

as if all the other links weren't enough... I have pics/installation info on the zero rates in my webshots shackle flip albums....

hope it helps,

J