Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any pilots?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by got_mud, Dec 29, 2003.

1. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

thinking about going after my single engine but want to weigh the advantages of it over the newly available "sport pilot" class with a cost comparison. mostly interested in buzzing the bushes and doing my own maintenance, ie homebuilt like a sonerai IIs or similar. not interested whatsoever in a 150 or 172. wife hates flying anyway so its all about me.

i have looked around here and it seems like 4500-5000 is the average range for ground school up to and including solo test for single eng private. in half as many hours i can be up and away with a sport pilot cert. and cleared for two seaters up to 1232 lbs total takeoff, 132 max mph attainable and fixed gear.

its this dang corvair powered dune buggy i got that started it all. i'd just go get an ultralight and be done with it if i could find one that will lift my 281 pound butt off the tarmac with enough gusto to play.

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I'm somewhat into ultralights and have been following the progress of the "Sport License". One of the advantages of the sport license is that you don't need a physical. All they do is ask for your drivers license. Another is that you can carry a passenger without having to have a BFI. (basic flight instructor rating) You can also fly a larger plane, go faster and carry more fuel than in an ultralight.

The instruction is almost the same though. So you still need to take lessons from a BFI and go through the ground school.

At 281 pounds I would think you would want the sport license so that you can get yourself into a plane that will handle your weight. Although you might be a little tight in the cockpit. You will need to find an instructor with an aircraft that you will fit in and that's going to be tough. Dual instruction is required.

I haven't checked into the cost comparison yet. I can do that today if you like. I'm in So. Cal. and the cost will most likely be higher here than in other parts of the country.

Let me know if you want more info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

well.. i just went off and spent 75$$ to get complete build plans for a great plains 'sonerai II' stretch. haven't fully decided if i should tell the wife. looks like sport pilot it is. from the flow of things that i saw, 24-36 months from final approval of the change will mandate a load of changes in UL flight anyway.

btw- not worried about physical. carry an annual med card for dot anyway.

if you don't mind, check around out there and see if anyone is offering sport pilot class training. seeing as how its not even in the books yet, i figure at most they can offer a cost difference to attain a certificate.

4. landsmasher

Will do. I know just where to go... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. landsmasher

Here's the deal. The thing hasn't been approved yet but could be this year. Here's a quote...

[ QUOTE ]
    The Light-Sport/Sport Pilot classifications could be a reality early in the coming year after Department of Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta signed off on the rulemaking package Tuesday and forwarded it to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for a final review.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find anything out about how the training will be provided but they are talking about "self certification". That means that once someone teaches you to fly, all you have to do is keep a log book of your hours and flight details. I can't find a copy of the draft that is being looked at right now. Will try more searches.

My flight instructor friend sent me to these... http://www.faa.gov and http://www.avweb.com

You might try looking around in there.