Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any plumbers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by arq, Oct 15, 2004.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

have a question regarding soldering coper pipe type M. anyhow, i've began a small project that ended up being a monstrosity. i soldered some pipe, i cleaned the pipe with sandpaper/steel wool, put on the flux and applied the solder.

here is what i did. i put solder on the pipes before joing the couplers. actually put solder on the coupler and the pipe then i heated them both up and applied a bit more solder. is this a good way to do it.
    or should clean, apply the flux, join the coupler and pipe, then heat and solder???

I know the method i used works on circuit boards, would this also be good on copper pipes??

thanks,

ARQ.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

hi pinion can help, you might want to PM him if he doesn't respond... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Like this

You should see the solder get "sucked" into the fitting if it is done properly.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you should clean the pipe and the inside of the fitting well, Apply the flux, Assemble the pieces to be soldered then apply the heat and then the solder. it will flow into the joint by Cappilary action.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I would love to help you as well. Either me, mudjunky, or storm trooper would be more than glad to help. Im under fire with parts sales here at my house right now, but if you wait, or talk to these guys are just as good if not better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Make sure both pieces are clean ...I like to use the wire brush cleaners more then the sandpaper ...I think that the brushes dont leave behind any crap .....I put flux on both pieces ,then assemble them ... [ tinned solder is better the beeswax]I use just regular propane not Mapp gas ... regular is not as hott as Mapp ,but works great !!!! I put the heat to the hardest spot solder first ,Heat up the joint ,then warn up the solder by putting it in the heat and on the joint ...you are trying to see if the joint is hot enought for solder to flow .. You dont want to just melt solder and drop it on the joint cold .....Let the solder melt from the heat of the joint .... It will start to flow and apply it as much as it will take ...Move the torch to another area and continue the same ...I like to take the torch away and apply it as needed to keep the solder flowing .... PLEASE DONT APPLY TOO MUCH HEAT !!!!! If you do ..... it wont work .... you will have to start over ....I am not sure of what happens with too much heat ...maybe the solder get burned or its the crap from the gasses ...you will have to take it all apart or cut it all out ...Half soldered joints dont work !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

NO no no......step #1 clean the pee out of your copper fittings. Using SANDPAER or emory cloth. #2 apply a good amount of flux to your fitting.#3 use MAPP gas.works much better,and put on the heat at maximum.........apply for 15-20 seconds,untill the solder starts to flow into your fitting. #4 make sure you pull the heat away from the fitting while applying solder.$5 check it real good to make sure the solder took all ariund the joint. #5 wipe your fitting .#6 look at it good, and if it lloks like it diddnt take, it will probobly leak.......... My experiance with this, is if you FEEL like its going to leak it probobly will. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would judt calm down, eat a pattymelt,go and PRACTICE on some starter fittings, anfd then once you feel compitent,jump right in /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif *good luck* and dont [censored] it up, otherwise youll be swimming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifJake*

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

thanks guys,

I've been practicing. I'll do the real stuff in the morning. it's kinda late and i want to be able to shower in the morning before i start /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ARQ.

10. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    NO no no......step #1 clean the pee out of your copper fittings. Using SANDPAER or emory cloth. #2 apply a good amount of flux to your fitting.#3 use MAPP gas.works much better,and put on the heat at maximum.........apply for 15-20 seconds,untill the solder starts to flow into your fitting. #4 make sure you pull the heat away from the fitting while applying solder.$5 check it real good to make sure the solder took all ariund the joint. #5 wipe your fitting .#6 look at it good, and if it lloks like it diddnt take, it will probobly leak.......... My experiance with this, is if you FEEL like its going to leak it probobly will. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would judt calm down, eat a pattymelt,go and PRACTICE on some starter fittings, anfd then once you feel compitent,jump right in /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif *good luck* and dont [censored] it up, otherwise youll be swimming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifJake*

[/ QUOTE ]
    I really think that is a good way to get plumbers crack !!!! I wouldnt recommend it !!!! BUT plumbers can fix it !!!! They have plumbers putty !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure both pieces are clean ...I like to use the wire brush cleaners more then the sandpaper ...I think that the brushes dont leave behind any crap .....I put flux on both pieces ,then assemble them ... [ tinned solder is better the beeswax]I use just regular propane not Mapp gas ... regular is not as hott as Mapp ,but works great !!!! I put the heat to the hardest spot solder first ,Heat up the joint ,then warn up the solder by putting it in the heat and on the joint ...you are trying to see if the joint is hot enought for solder to flow .. You dont want to just melt solder and drop it on the joint cold .....Let the solder melt from the heat of the joint .... It will start to flow and apply it as much as it will take ...Move the torch to another area and continue the same ...I like to take the torch away and apply it as needed to keep the solder flowing .... PLEASE DONT APPLY TOO MUCH HEAT !!!!! If you do ..... it wont work .... you will have to start over ....I am not sure of what happens with too much heat ...maybe the solder get burned or its the crap from the gasses ...you will have to take it all apart or cut it all out ...Half soldered joints dont work !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]You damn gererals think you know everything /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif You have no physical clue as to whats going on here. Every plumber i know including myself runs mapp gas.Unless your soldering a 4 inch water main. I repipe houses with copper all day long. The only guys i ever see withought mapp gas are the ones who either ran out , and had to use their coleman camping gear gas,and Bob Villa one time hit wonders. If someone asked me for medical advise, i wouldnt give it to them because thed probobly end up dead.You are not a plumber so please do not give info on plumbing. You might be a drain cleaner, but youre definatly not a plumber, and i can tell by the way you describe the soldering. By the way, 15-20 seconds with mapp gas all the way on high is just right to heat the fitting to allow solder to flow.Youre on my side of the fence now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks guys,

I've been practicing. I'll do the real stuff in the morning. it's kinda late and i want to be able to shower in the morning before i start /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ARQ.

[/ QUOTE ] Anytime /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If the joint has sealed properly, you will actually see the solder all the way around the fitting .Happy plumbing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

By the way, I forgot to update my plumbing thread...

I air pressure tested the lines I put in @ 40lbs. The hot side leaked at a joint I knew would leak. Once I fixed that, both sides held pressure fine.

Thanks Hi Pinion and Storm Trooper...

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    By the way, I forgot to update my plumbing thread...

I air pressure tested the lines I put in @ 40lbs. The hot side leaked at a joint I knew would leak. Once I fixed that, both sides held pressure fine.

Thanks Hi Pinion and Storm Trooper...

[/ QUOTE ] No problem man. Its good to do some good for people once and a while and try to help out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Its very difficult to do over the internet,but its fun to try.I dont really have a problem helping my ck5 guys out /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Storm trooper is way older and doing much more avdanced stuff that i am ,but im still learning things even though im almost 30.But im good on the residential type things. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif