Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any POR15 Spraying Tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Dec 28, 2001.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Anyone have experience spraying POR 15 with conventional equipment? No HVLP gun. What about thinning and cleanup? Finally got the underbody unobstructed and need to decide how to coat it.

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Spray with conventional works fine. You can thin it with Xylene Xylol per the instructions on POR15. Be sure and cover everything you don't want that stuff on, and good ventilator. Works good though. Be sure surface is bare metal too.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I thought that you didnt have to get to bare metal to use Por15. We did a friends dune buggy in Por15 and didnt take any of the paint off at all. There were even a few rust spots that we just covered up with it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

You don't, but what I found out was the undercoating under my K5 was less than desireable, and POR15 on top of that stuff is only as good as the paint, so I stripped it to bare metal, then spayed with acetone to clean it. That way the POR15 is directly on metal doing the job intended of it. Worked good. My 2 cents worth.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General