Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any power gain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Jul 13, 2004.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Since i have never been a fan of air conditioning,and never have used it in the K5. I want to clean up the engine compartment a bit. Will I notice any power gains if I pull all the air conditioner crap out? Is it really worth it? Or should I just leave it alone?

2. UseYourBlinker

It's on my 84 K5 with 350. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Since i have never been a fan of air conditioning,and never have used it in the K5. I want to clean up the engine compartment a bit. Will I notice any power gains if I pull all the air conditioner crap out? Is it really worth it? Or should I just leave it alone?

[/ QUOTE ] If resale will ever be a concern, then leave it alone. You can get the same "power gain" by mearly removing the belt.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run A/C with a 305 and while not an animal, it will drive fine . Its hot where I live and my A/C is staying until I have an accident and cut the truck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just finished ripping out all of my a/c crap. I didn't notice any power gains. Although I highly recommend it since there's an ASSLOAD of room in there now...

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yah dude, just remove the belt. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

If you want more room in the engine compartment, then take everything out, but put it in a box in your attic 'cause you'll want it back as soon as you get rid of it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. UseYourBlinker

Thanks for the input fellers. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Really, there's hardly any drag on the belt when the clutch is off, so all you really have to do it unplug the connector going into the compressor clutch. That completely disables the A/C system. For that matter, you could also pull the connector off the clutch cycling switch on the side of the receiver/dryer.

Want cheap power? Change the springs in your distributor. Noticeable improvement and costs less than $10.

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

cheap power? Got Nos?

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll be pulling mine out permantly in august. With out doors, a roof, or a top, it won't do sh_t for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what are you going to drive in Jan and Feb?

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

in the winter when I wheel I will dress warmly. Around here you can get away with wool socks, snow boots/insulated hiking boots, long underwear/wool pants, t-shirt, light sweat shirt and winter jacket, also a toque. Thats what I wore in Januaray when me and my dad got a load of firewood.
    Then when I drive on the streets I'll be driving the jimmy with a heater /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The pump does not use any power what so ever when the clutch is not engaged, it just freewheels. I don't know why you would want to remove it unless you are in a very cool climate. I use my A/C 8 months out of the year, it gets warm inside all that glass even on a sunny 70* day here in Cali and I remember how much warmer it would get inside before I had all my windows tinted.

As for power if I want every HP available for pushing the K5 I just click it off until I get out of the throttle....infact I can hardly tell a difference with the pump going anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Don't tear it out, you'll probably regret it.