Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any practical way to slow down rusting underbody?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Dec 2, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I just had my sub painted, it didnt have any rust on the outer surface but the undersides of the panels, the wheel wells and frame all have flaky rust. Has anyone tried to deal with this or do you just let it go? Thanks.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, the key is to get it covered before it is exposed. But as the case so happens to be like the man yof us it that we wait till its too late. The best way to kill rust is to quaranteen it, then lay down the preventative. Even if you stop any future penetrants the old rust will continue to grow. SO you could pull the under panels and the spray the underside with that under coating.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"mccordhouse.freeservers.com"

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Once you get all the rust cleaned off, Coat the bottom with POR 15, and it will prevent future rust. I think you may be able to put it over rust and the rust will stop, but I'm not sure...being from Texas...

90K5

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually, Por15 works BEST with a roughed-up rusty surface- the chemical makeup of the product reacts with the rust to create an almost bulletproof coating, at the same time sealing out moisture. I'm going to do my undercarriage when time allows, and I know that a few of the boys around here have used it with much success.

Check out http://www.Por15.com

5. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Cool, I happen to have some of that laying around. I gues I'll just scrape off as much as I can then coat it. Do you think I should paint or coat it with undercoating after the por?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just thought I'd mention that Por15 has a shelf life of two years unopened. This is cut down to just six months(I think?) for a previously opened can. So depending on how long you've had it "laying around", you may want to consider buying a new batch.

I believe you can paint the Por15 once it's cured, but you can buy it in a semi-gloss black that wouldn't really require a topcoat of paint. From what I recall, paint doesn't offer any extra protection unless the coated surface is exposed to the sun.......

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I sand blasted all that crud out from under mine and used a good rust resistant paint. Check your rockers and tail pan. that where rust likes to get eating. do all you can to get rid of it. I have spent the last 2 weekend replacing the tail pan. It was so ate up the back of the truck was folding.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

move to arizona or texas

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

9. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dont forget Por15 is a process not just a rust paint. It works best when the area is first degreased and more importantly treated with "metal ready" which actually stops the rust and treats with zinc phosphate.

Jim

79jimmy@sprint.ca

10. Grim-Reaper

Why would I move to flat old TX? I live 2 hours from Tellico [​IMG] AZ maybe just cause it's closer to MOAB but I like Atlanta just fine and the truck is not from here hence the rust. My 79 is frim here and other than the rockers it's clean as is my 70 LeMans. We don't get much snow here.

Grim-Reaper

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<font color=green>2 hours from Tellico</font color=green>! I'm turning green with envy![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

12. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Where can POR15 be purchased. I've never seen it around CT.

13. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

Here is an easy way out, but it can be messy. Get the bottom of your truck oiled. There is a place around here where you can bring your vehicle in and they will spray the entire underside with used motor oil, getting it inside the rockers and any other opening in the body. Then it needs to sit for a couple days to drip. This works very well in heavily salted areas. This is a good way to halt rust until it can be properly fixed, or a good preventative measure if you dont mind getting messy whenever you work on the underside your truck.

14. Grim-Reaper

Sorry to sound like a ECO nut here but HAY THAT CRAP WILL GET INTO THE WATER! Man I do everything I can to keep my vehicle leak free so that I don't polute when water crossing ect. Spraying a couple gallons drain oil on the bottom of your truck is not much better than dumping that oil on the ground next to a street drain. It will make it into the creeks and rivers.
    We have lost the 3 main water crossings at Tellico because of oils and silt being dragged into the water. The ECO nuts have made a big enough stink that bridges are bing built at Fains Ford, Rough water and trails 6 crossing. They actully stood on tha bank watching trucks cross and watched the oil sheen on the water as leaking trucks crossed and used that as amo to force the installation of the bridges to keep those 3 trails open. Dude find a better way. Shoot some rustolium or something that wont wash off.

Grim-Reaper

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

And one suggestion that no one has mentioned, what about that Ziebart stuff? Take it to the shop and have them Ziebart the entire bottom?
    Of Course POR 15 may work better.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

16. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I recently heard from a reliable source (Pat Goss of MotorWeek Magazine) that Ziebart actually encourages rust as it keeps everything nice and moist!

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

17. mudpuppy89k5

mudpuppy89k5 Registered Member

I've been thinking about painting the frame of my '89, not so much due to current rust, but just as insurance against future problems. I was going to use Rustoleum, but after reading the posts, decided to try the POR-15. I just got some of the POR-15 Chassiscoat from a buddy of mine that works at YearOne (www.yearone.com or 1-800-932-7663). He hasn't used it but some of the guys there have and were impressed. They brushed it on and said it worked well.

POR-15 has a web site at http://www.por-15.com/. Just found it this morning and haven't had time to look at it good.

I'll post something after I've used the paint.

John Perry
    http://www.mudpuppy.coloradok5.com/