Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any problem with true full time 4wd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gibby2268, Dec 17, 2006.

1. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Hey all. I've got a 79 that I'm trying to get going, unfortunately it looks like it either came from a Northern state or some PO like to go wheelin in acid pits.:eek1: Yeah, its pretty rotten. I recently acquired the lower half of an 82, which is in MUCH better condition. While I was putting brake lines on the 79, I noticed that the bleeder valve on one of the front calipers was broken off in the caliper, the u-joints are way shot, and its going to need bearings too.:( axles on the 82 are pretty good, dont need any of the afore mentioned stuff, so my question is: can I swap the axles from the 82 onto the 79, including the hubs? The 79 has the locking hubs for the 203, 82 doesnt. So basically it would truly be full time 4wd, everything pulling, all the time. This rig, if I ever get it going, is just going to be my occasionally driven toy. The absolute furthest it will be driven is 34 miles one way to work, and that would be VERY RARE. Otherwise the places to go wheeling locally are like 10 miles away. I know that was alot of info jsut to ask it there is any problem in running with the locked full time 4wd, but I wanted you to have the whole picture. I have searched and from what I've found I dont think that would be a problem, just want a definitive answer before I tear into it.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

203 trucks didnt come wit selectable hubs from the factory, they came with drive flanges. the 82 axle probably has automatic hubs on it, rather than drive flanges as you think it has.

3. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

k, well the 79 definitely has the manual hubs on it (Warn maybe?). I guess the 82 may indeed be the flanges, if that was factory. So can I run them with the 203? I realize its not ideal, but will it work ok for occasional street use or would I be much better off going with a part time kit or something? If it would really be better I guess I can do the repairs on my 79 axles, or just swap the manual hubs to the 82's axles. I'm just thinking about options here..

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The hubs are interchangeable from the one to the other, so if I were you, I would start mixing and matching parts between the two trucks until you get one working set.

You could swap axles, yes; the fronts, anyway, are interchangeable from at least the spindles out. (The '82 has a 10-bolt, and the '79 could have a 10-bolt or a D44, but the outers are inetrchangeable between a D44 and a 10b.)

And you want the manual hubs on whatever you use. TRUST me. Auto hubs suck :)

-- A

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I just did pretty much what you are talking about. I have a 79 with a 10 bolt front. Yours should be a 10 bolt. I think they changed in 77 or 78?? from the D44 to 10 bolt. I had an 87 axle that I put in. Mix and match to get the best of one full axle. Keep the shafts as spares.

Dump the automatic hubs and swap over the manual hubs if that is what you have. Are you sure you have automatic hubs? You may just have a fulltime axle in the 82. If you do have a fulltime setup from the 82, keep the gears and everything when you put in the manual hubs in case you blow a hub out on the trail.

Edit: You were asking about leaving it full time 4wd. It shouldn't be a problem. The xfer case has to have a PT kit installed if it had manual hubs. Keeping the option of unlocking the front limits the amount of spinning stuff and burning extra gas when its not needed.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the '82 'shouldnt' have a full time setup, unless someone has swapped the axles around, at which point, who knows what the hell to do. :dunno: NP203s were discontinued in 1979, and the drive flanges went with them. IIRC auto hubs started in '82.

7. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

grrrrr. 203 DIE. i wish my 79 had the 205 in it

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yank the chain case off of your 203 and bolt a 205 behind it and run em both. :D

9. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I think what I'll do is swap the axles, but swap the manual hubs over to the newer axles. I had no idea the 203 had a part-time kit in it, I have yet to drive it! I do know the 79 is a 10-bolt, not the Dana.

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

to address your question about driving around with it in 4wd, i definitely would not. you'll wear out the tires faster, it will affect your steering, significantly, mpg will suffer, and pretty much the entire front drivetrain will wear faster.