Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any reason NOT to use Marine bearing grease?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, May 7, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i bought some marine grease for my dads boat trailer bearings, and i used it on my TRE's/DRe's, and i was thinkin is there any reason not to use it on my bearings? thx.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

As long as it meet's or exceed's, the spec's, for typical grease, I don't see why not. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just read the side of the can/tube. it list it's base:(moly, lithium, ....) and it's temp rating, as Don stated, just make sure it matches or exceeds.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno...maybe if you're in the Army? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If yer talkin about the blue stuff I have been using it on my K5 fer almost 10yrs. Seams to hold up to the elements just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep that's the stuff I use on all my trucks good stuff /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, I use it too! Can't go wrong with something that repels water out fairly well without breaking down nearly as easily. Just buy the good blue/green stuff as stated.

8. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

looks like i may try some of that didn't think about it, but it should repel water real good like he said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We have 4 grease guns and marine grease is in all of them. The boat, camper and tractors wheel bearings get it and I use is in my ujoints on the blazer. Anything that has a grease zerk around our house most likely has marine grease in it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh I forgot the utility trailer and lawn wagons/wheel barrels. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Oh and like everything thing else lube wise... Valvoline. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used Marine grease on all my front wheel bearings and everything else in there when I did the 8 lug swap on my 10 bolt. I have had it in there for 9 months with no problems. I will be using it on basically everything else from now on. Not that I get many water crossings in AZ, but better safe then sorry.

11. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt my front D44 and used marine grease. This was only about 2-3 weeks ago though so I dont have much time on the axle with the Marine grease. All I know is when I put the top of the line synthetic grease in my front hubs and bearings it didnt last more than about 3 months and or about 4 wheelin trips through water crossings before my hubs were oozing with nice "Rust" colored muck. I am hoping that marine grease will do much better at holding the water out / not breaking down the grease as quick and therefore not rusting up my hubs.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I had miserable results with the Sta-Lube Marine Grease. Did a worse job than normal wheel bearing grease. This in the front end of a 1700 lbs. 'glas dune buggy, how hard can you load sumthin like that ?

Now I use Redline CV joint grease for all wheelbearings and Red-I for stuff like driveshafts. The CV grease repells water better than the so-called 'Marine Grease' did, and it's rated for a much higher PV.