Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any reason why I can't use a diaphram type clutch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 16, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any reason why I can\'t use a diaphram type clutch?

Is there any reason why I can't use a diaphram type clutch where the three finger style once was?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Any reason why I can\'t use a diaphram type clutch?

No reason at all why you couldn't. Your leg will thank you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As Rene said, your leg will thank you : )

My dads got a 3 finger on his truck, and I've got diaphram. Mine kicks the crap out of his, in both feel and ease of use. There was an article in Car Craft or 4wheeling or something about clutches in the past year, an it broke down all the different types of clutches, and their use. After reading it, I still felt good about using a Diaphram style, so obviously there aren't any serious flaws in the design.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know my leg will thank me. That's why I was hoping the flywheel was the same either way. My friends clutches are HARD! I definitely didn't want that.

I have a used clutch and I think I'm out of money and I was considering using it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I hope I'm not.

Thanks.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have the Borg & Beck (3 finger)...I hate driving in traffic with my truck because of it. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Some dork at the parts place I bought my clutch convinced me to go with the Borg & Beck over the diaphram clutch a few years ago...said it was superior. I personally don't believe it and I will go with a diaphram clutch next.

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn...I was gonna order a Zoom clutch from Summit, but my local NAPA has a lifetime warranty diaphram for $135!

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The three finger clutch has a higher pressure rating and can hold up better to high horspower or racing situations. When I had a manual, I ran a weighted diaphram clutch that helped to make up for this but I still smoked it good at every mud race (Letting it slip at 5 grand was hard on it). I think that was due to the style of driving than the clutch itself. For 90% of applications a diaphram clutch should be fine.

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I would run a diaphram clutch. Much nicer to use.

Some thing to note about the 2 types; with a finger clutch, the further you push the clutch in the harder you have to push. With a diaphram, the hardest part of the travel (where you have to push the hardest) is in the middle of the travel; I have a very stiff diaphram clutch in my truck (with brass/ceramic pucks as opposed to a regular organic lining), and if you're not used to it it kind of kicks back at you once you get it half way out. However most diaphram clutches are easy enough to push that you don't notice the effect.

Pete

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt spend extra for a Zoom(actually I did)
    not alot of mystery to a truck clutch
    the Napa or Luk will be fine for most

10. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I like my three finger clutch because nobody else whats to drive it . The old diaphram was a lot easier on the leg.

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

In my experience, the diaphram pressure plates do not take well to being submerged in mud (they quit working), whereas the three finger style are not affected as badly by it. Just something I have observed, that you may or may not need to worry about /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I'm only 125 lbs. so I refuse to have the caveman clutch even if it is a little better. I went and bought the Diaphram clutch today and got my flywheel turned. $150 for the clutch kit at Napa, brand new, lifetime warranty.

13. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

In the past I used a three finger clutch, But somewhere I read that using such a high presser clutch mite put undo wear on the main bearings. So now I would go with a daiphram and I know my leg would like it.

Eric