Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any residential electritions in the house ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JIM88K5, Jun 2, 2004.

1. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I replaced a 3 way switch with a 3 way dimmer and the other 3 way was cracked so I replaced that. In one box I have a RED-WHITE-BLACK wire combo, the other has BLACK-BLACK-RED w/ the two white wires connected w/ a wire nut. These switches control 2 over head lamps in my kitchen. Like most things they worked before I fixed them. I can only get partial function. I know I have them wired wrong and I aint smartnuff to figure out witch wires to swap. I dont want to let the smoke out of the wall or the switches /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Bump...

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Like most things they worked before I fixed them.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I've done what you've done. You just reversed a wire somewhere.

This page had a decent diagram:
    http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html

I can't seem to find the awesome one I had used when I did most of the switches in my house.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I replaced a 3 way switch with a 3 way dimmer and the other 3 way was cracked so I replaced that. In one box I have a RED-WHITE-BLACK wire combo, the other has BLACK-BLACK-RED w/ the two white wires connected w/ a wire nut. These switches control 2 over head lamps in my kitchen. Like most things they worked before I fixed them. I can only get partial function. I know I have them wired wrong and I aint smartnuff to figure out witch wires to swap. I dont want to let the smoke out of the wall or the switches /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

On the switch you have three positions a common and two runners. On the black, red, white side the black is probably common and the red and white are likely the runners. On the other side, one of the blacks is likely the common and the other two wires are the runners. You have probably have one 3 conductor wire and one 2 conductor wire in that box. The 2 conductor wire probably has the white tied to the white from the 3 conductor wire and the black free. If this is the case that black is probably your common.

PM me if you want to talk it over on the phone.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Your descriptions are correct. One box has 2 wire in(BLACK-WHITE) 3 wire out (RED-BLACK-WHITE), white wires nutted together... So in that box I have (2 BLACK,1 RED). I have the BLACK from the 2 wire feed as the common. The other box has RED WHITE BLACK , black being the common also. I'm thinking in one of the boxes the black is not the common. I have a neon tester but I'm not sure what to make of my findings /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif... It worked fine before I changed the switches.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Is there just the 3 conductor wire in the other box?

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Yes. Red-black-white...

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Got it !! White wire on the second box is the traveler...
    I kind of thought that but wasnt sure. A guy on a "Home Self Help" forum got it.. Thanks for helping me though... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif