Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any rocker protection ideas? (Keith, Grim, Dep, Pete, others)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Sep 10, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Toying with the idea of just removing my rockers all together and installing/integrating some kind of maybe 2x6 in it's place then welding tube on to that that sticks out, kind of like keith's, I do like Pete's a lot but don't think I'm ready for that yet, but maybe take that idea on a smaller note, any ideas, thought, concerns?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I like the rocker replacement with 3x3 tubing approach (Grim and Depdog I think) The ends of the tubing could be angled inwards at each end for a nice clean look too. Pete's get-up looks like the wicked hardcore answer, but kind of hard to do to a daily driver...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no kidding. I'll need something soon too. Pete, where can I find some close up pics of what you did?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I was thinking for a long time about cutting out the rockers and welding in a piece of rect. tube that stuck out maybe 1 1/2" past the bottom of the door, from tire to tire. Just never got around to it until it was way too late. Having something smooth in that area that will slide along the rocks really helps, instead of the stock body that just grabs and gets hung up.

Remember, chicks dig body damage. :D

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I will take a couple of pics of mine now and email them to ya. I have the 2x3 rockers with 1.5" quarter wall square tube welded off of that making a kinda nerf bar/ step, it takes up no ground clearance, but keeps my doors off of objects. I made em stick out just a hair farther than the widest part of the door, I also welded the rockers into the body in 3 more spots with 1.5" quarter square tube braces.

Look for them tonight, heading to a club meeting now.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

In your case, you could probably do as I thought about doing. You could either weld in a piece of square or rectangular tubing and cap the ends. I would of course, run bracing closer to the body mounts to stiffen it up.

You could do this without major body work. Cool thing is, you could weld all this in, then since your rig has body trim, you could buy some white bedliner and paint it on just below the trim. I would use some POR then Durabak in white. That should do the trick.

Here is my second thought, I want to take Pete's idea and do it on a smaller scale. I would like to keep my doors, so I would only remove the lower rocker and weld in 3/16" plate steel angling inward like Pete's. I would probably add a small piece of 2"x2" tubing underneath to strengthen it. I'll try to draw something up in the next few days to give you an idea...

One Point - I would not weld the front fender to the newly built rocker skid, because if you ever had to remove the fenders its time for the sawzall! Build some sort of inner fender bracing to hold the fender (bottom will be chopped off and thus the bolt removed!). This way, in the event you ever remove/install the fenders or replace the fenders, it would be easy to merely cut the bottom off and bolt them on. Pete, elaborate on this for me. Give me your thoughts!! Thanks for the input guys.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am/have removed my driver's side rockers and putting 3x3 square tube here is a pic http://community.webshots.com/album/19718836bIEYMLLJjf
    I'll have more when the project is done...

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

8. Depdog

Neil, dude whats up. How are ya doing.

You coming down for Dixie this year?

Depdog

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Depdog,

Not sure at this point if I can attend. Some things came up and I got some good deals on parts, so I have to stay home for a while [​IMG]. I am trying to plan a Fall run here in Potosi, if you guys would like to join. I need to make a trip down to Tellico, and when I do, I want you boys to be there as well. I need someone with similar rig to show me around. You will know what my limits are better than I will! Later dude.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I cut my rockers out and used 2x4 box. I didn't even finish before i went on a run and they are still strong enough. I only had the box welded on the front side of the door, and on the cab supports on the rear. Didn't have angle on the backside to the floor yet. I still beat the crap out of em and landed on them hard more then a couple times. Made me smile from ear to ear when i hit stuff and nothing happened! My plan is to cut 2 or 3 holes in the box on the 2" part and make a reciever kinda of deal. Then make hoops that go up and out a couple inches and go into the 2 or 3 recievers and hold in with some kinda of hitch pin. If you would make the recievers symetrical, you could then flip the hoop over and make them steps when they are not being used on the trail. I'd make them so you couldn't open the door very much with out hitting it. Thats why they would be removable and reversible. Like i said all in the preplanning stage and just a figment of my imagination right now. Hope that springs some idea. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I second Rene. I've already cut my passenger rocker out. Soon as I get up to speed on this welding Im gonna make mine and do all my expiermenting on that side so it'll look real pretty when I look at it from my side.[​IMG]

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

12. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I really dig the tube steel rocker idea but I just replaced them about a year ago. For now, they will stay 'til they meet their demise with a rock! One question though.......How will they be supported once you get past the rear body mount(in the area of the rear quarter)?

Ron

13. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I think all of the ones mentioned above work well but it really depends on what you like. I like the the way mine looks and the functionality. They can be hi-lifted to change tires. Although mine did take up ground clearance. Mine are the S.E.C. slides

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sawz ALL, Sawz All!, Sawz All!

Yeah I'm super happy with my sliders. Only thing I regret is I should have moved them out about one more inch. I'm sticking out farther than Deps Did before he added the rail but still not enough. I didn't weld my fronts to the tube. I put a tab on the top of the slider that the inner pannel of the fender bolts to so that I could remove it if needed.Mine is 4x4 and I loose about 1.5 inches of clearence. It's dead level with the frame without body lift. They are so much more solid that you would think. I have dropped off BIG ledges and landed right on them and the crash was horendus. People came running thinking that a truck had just rolled. Slid off the rest of the way and other than the paint being scratched, no big deal.
    If I had to do it again I would look for a peice of 3x6 to get it out more. I will probably end up doing the same thing Dep did and add a rail down the side to try to push of the rocks a little more.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: Sawz ALL, Sawz All!, Sawz All!

Using Yours and DEP's Idea, at least on my 90 I cant go anything widers than a 3x3 due to the door. LEss I want to trim off the bottom of the door. But I'd like to have my door over lap the top lip of it anyway and with some weather stripping between the lip of the door and the rail it should provided a good seal to keep water and mud outta my cab.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

So you guys are just welding these tubes to the body and body supports? Thats it? Or izs there other bracing to the frame? I love the look of them, and the strength seems awesome. I was looking at my floor underside, and the box cab body supports are rusted pretty good. Has anyone run into this? Are they replaceable, or can you just fab up new type ones? I have to get some floor pieces, replace them, and the box supports, then I guess I can integrate some type of sliders.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thats how Im doing mine. Just welding them to the underbody adn the cab supports.

18. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My fender is welded to my rockers, but its just a series of temporary tack welds. I plan to use some flat head cap screws to attatch it when I'm done. I also intend to modify the doors to work for winter runs and street use/trailering. One thing I did notice after the mod is that my truck is way more solid before, this was also helped by replacing the tailpan earlier this summer. My brother is thinking about doing rockers like mine on his '70, but they wouldn't be as severe on a first gen.

Pete

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

19. Depdog

Sent the pics to the info@ address, also sent them to the person that emailed me about them as well.

Depdog

20. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks Dep, any problems with body flex, I know the bodies on these things are wide and like to twist.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers