Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any roofers in here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90K5, May 18, 2003.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

about a month ago, we had a huge hailstorm, totaled just about everyone's roof. I'm needing to make some money this summer, and seeing a lot of opportunities. Problem is, never done any kind of roofing in my life. Anyone do this? What kind of money can you make off it, and what kinds of skills and tools are reguired? thanks

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Are you planning on helping out another roofing crew or starting yourself? I would venture to say you would bite off more than you can chew if you plan to go it alone. It can be tough to get one sealed up well if you have never done it before. However, if you plan to work with an experienced crew, it's not too bad. Tough work, but money can be had. I worked with a crew that would do 3-4 roofs per week, at an average of $3500-$4500 per roof. Labor ran maybe $1000, with supplies in the range of $750-$1000. Pretty good money.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

planning on doing them myself, at least getting the business myself. got a good friend who i have done various construction jobs with before, and have basically figured out how to get things done. It does seem like a lot of work, but not all that hard work...just time consuming and hot, which i dont really mind.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Get insurance. I know of an experienced roofing guy that fell off a roof and had no insurance, and is going into poverty to get fixed back up. Not to mention that he can't walk and may have no provision for any income for the rest of his life...

Otherwise, I think it's pretty easy. My dad did my front roof, and my wife is up my arse about doing the back roof, and since we're near broke, I'm not going to be paying anyone like I thought I would be... I'd go for it, but for sure get the insurance if you're going to work on other people's houses.
    rmember though, if you do someone's roof and a month later they have a leak, you're gonna be pissed to be back up there doing free work!

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My dog is a roofer. Can't seem to shut her up sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My dog is a roofer. Can't seem to shut her up sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mine is a howler. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mine is a howler. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is a biter.

she bites people who hijack my threads /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

pm me i'll answer any ? you have
    it's easy to get a job roofing you should try this first to see if you like it,and are fast enuff to make money at it,
    a leak will cost more than going back and fixing it for free
    sheetrock,paint,carpet,insulation and god forbid the GLASS EGG that everyone owns and couldn't put a price on
    i'm not tring to talk you out of it just go into it with eyes open /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i have talked to a few people who have done it, and it sounds like more trouble than its worth right now. I think im going to stick to painting and building fences, things like that

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think im going to stick to painting

[/ QUOTE ]

Painting??.....I've been out looking at my 35' eaves for several days thinkin' about how I'm gonna have to pressure wash them before I paint....and I gotta replace a piece of facia and soffet...and the big Newel posts for my porch....I've got an Airless Sprayer that will make the job SO much easier.....But I'm having a hard time workin' up the motivation to get it done.....I got a Quote for $2200 for just the power wash and paint, so I know I ain't gonna pay that much.....Just replaced the siding and painted one of my houses in Allen (kast summer)......

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    she bites people who hijack my threads

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my dog bites dogs that bites people for hijacking threads! So nyeah! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that you need a contractors license to do this kind of work. Fines can be different from state to state but usually at least $1000 and/or 6 months in jail for first offense. Also you could complete a job and then when you ask to get paid the customer can ask to see your license. When you cannot produce one the customer can tell you to go blank yourself. Nothing you can do about that with no license. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

don't think Tx has contractor's liscenses, but things could have changed

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think im going to stick to painting

[/ QUOTE ]

Painting??.....I've been out looking at my 35' eaves for several days thinkin' about how I'm gonna have to pressure wash them before I paint....and I gotta replace a piece of facia and soffet...and the big Newel posts for my porch....I've got an Airless Sprayer that will make the job SO much easier.....But I'm having a hard time workin' up the motivation to get it done.....I got a Quote for $2200 for just the power wash and paint, so I know I ain't gonna pay that much.....Just replaced the siding and painted one of my houses in Allen (kast summer)......

[/ QUOTE ]

K5Jimmy, i think we live in the same house....we need all that work done also