Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any rugby player's in the house??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Aug 30, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i just noticed a rugby player on here the other day (tx_sub) and kinda got me wonderin, does anyone else play/played rugby on here? i play for Oklahoma State University, outside center mainly, but can do anything outside the fly-half...

-"Blue"

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

I played a bit at school. then moved on to soccer & cricket. Just cricket now.
    I am however, a lifetime member - by birth- of the All Blacks Supporters Club. Currently the greatest rugby team in the world! :bow: :D :bow:

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I played my freshman year here at Appalachian State, until I hurt my neck... :doah:

4. XHitman396

well glad to know there's more than two on here. hey john, at what age can people generally start playing rugby across the big pond? do they have like under 12 leagues and stuff?? i never even knew my high school had one until my junior year...

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

see blue, just post and ye shall find. 4 years at university, soon to start my men's club career. some of my friends from New Zealand say kids start playing real young and without boots. then in about middle school or jr high, they get to wear boots. South Africa is similar, but not quite as hardcore, i have another mate from Durbin.

i would link to my alma mater's website, but its under water and out of commission in New Orleans. Still waiting to see if all my mates got out of the city safely.

"Irish"

6. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Hi Brett. Yes the tx_sub is correct. kids in NZ start playing at 5 or so (informally) then by about 7 they are in proper clubs, leagues and school teams. All kids learn rugby in bare feet up to age about 10. This is so they dont get hurt in rucks & mauls And teaches them to concentrate on the skill aspects of the game - running, passing, tackling support play etc. Then kids dont learn to get violent so easily 'cos if you try and kick someone with bare feet you get a sore foot! Boots come in at about age 11.
    The ages are approx because all junior rugby in NZ is graded by player weight in 1 stone increments. Under 6 stone, U7, U8 etc. They all go to the pre-season "weigh-in" and so you could be playing with older or younger kids but who are all the same weight. Again less injury probs.
    The barefoot thing was why i switched to soccer. A particularly severe winter with every game played on frosty ground in barefeet and I looked across at the socer kids practising and they were wearing boots and nice warm socks. So at age 9 I told parents 'I'm going to play soccer' and they went and bought some second-hand soccer boots and off I went, warm feet!
    My younger brother switched a year later and he got my old boots.
    I live in England now and rugby kids here wear boots from day 1.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Scrum Sir. Played in college and ocasionally with the old boys on special occasions, usually a lock but can fit in as a prop as needed.

8. XHitman396

wow, ive never heard of the bare foot thing, makes sense, but geeze.. do they start out hitting or have some sort of flag/touch game they play? i played against a team that had a south african or two playing for them; definately a different breed of rugby players, they took top five at nationals, too...

9. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Kids play to win from the start but play 'touch' at practise to get basics of game. (as do the seniors). See if you can watch any of the 'Tri-Nations' games between Australia, NZ & SA and you will see how tough these guys 'hit' in the tackles. None of your grid-iron helmets & body armour either.

10. XHitman396

so the seven year old kids start off hitting in games?? yeah ive seen some pro ruggers do their thing, it makes you feel like your an embarrassment to the game after seeing what they can do.. MY grid-iron helmets and body armour??? i think not.. :D

11. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i had a south african on my team, an englishman, a german, a frenchman and my coach was a kiwi. we had an argentinian bloke for a semester on exchange. those damn foreigners are always good. if they have an accent, they usually are good :haha: :haha: