Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any schooling?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by luk3, Sep 23, 2003.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

hey i was wondering what kind of schooling/experince , if any, you guys have over at ORD. Im looking into metal fab/weld/ machine technology for a living and was curious what u guys have.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Mostly a lot of experience. I have a mechanical engineering degree but basically grew up in a fab shop and started working on serious vehicle stuff (tubed out stock car, blazer, etc) in high school.
    My dad's done some of everything so far, there's really not much he can't pick up quickly or has already done.
    Beck's a ME also and had some fab experience before he came here and is picking up a lot more.
    Jeff's actually a harley riding tatoo artist but something about being good with his hands and detail oriented makes him good with transfer cases and keeping up with small parts.

I'd recommend experience as a very good thing to pick up. Find a shop you can work in or at least do some involved projects yourself to practice and improve your own fab skills. You should also look at some kind of business or management education. That kind of knowledge can take you a long way.

3. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

ok cool thanks for the info

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    hey i was wondering what kind of schooling/experince , if any, you guys have over at ORD. Im looking into metal fab/weld/ machine technology for a living and was curious what u guys have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stephen is actually a teacher....

Check out THIS class he taught recently:

[​IMG]

Stephen 1, Rubicon 0

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

are those pillows on top the rig so when the green jimmy rolls over the cage is still cozy or...? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Shade, sleeping pads, rollover protection, whatever. It's all the same.