Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Snowboarders? Downhill skiers? Questions/New to this.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, Dec 17, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I am signed up for a "Group Lesson" the second week in January at a ski resort up the road from where I work.
    Question#1- Is $28.00 a reasonable price for one group lesson lasting an hour and a half? (they have other "lesson packages", but I want to do a trial before committing to it, having never done it before...

Question #2- Is snowboarding harder than skiing?

They offer skiing lessons too. Once I try the snowboarding lesson, I may have a better feel.(If I don't break anything... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
    Just trying to see what the consensus is on the level of difficulty between the two.

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Those prices don't seem to bad. I'm a snowboarder,but I've never attempted to get on a set of ski's (except waterski's), so I can't tell ya the difference. I can tell ya, it was easier to learn a snowboard then most people told me it would be, and they are fun as hell, thats why I never put on set of snowski's. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. stuper

stuper Registered Member

i ski, never snowboarded. soooo im biased. skiing is tricky the first time around. stick to it its a fun habit. yes 28.00 is good price. ur getting rentals, lift, and the lesson. it is a decent deal. hope u stick with it. remember if u snowboard u sit on the ground alot. i'm guessing that would be cold.

theo/stuper

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Snowboarding is harder to learn initially but easier as you progress. Skiing is a bit easier to learn at first but takes much longer to master. If you are going to try snowboarding expect a VERY soar butt after the first day.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Surfing kicks so much more ass than either of those. Plus you can do it whenever & naked. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

ive done both, and i say snowboarding is by far more fun. skiing is easier to learn, but i think its worth learning to snowboard. im headin up to snowshoe WV in a few weeks, so we shall see if i make it back in one piece.

went to crested butte, CO a few years ago. came home with a concussion and a fractured knee. snowboarding is fun... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

surfing is better than either. as for the whenever part, i dunno about that - the water is 50 degrees here. (and shut up, booties and gloves take the fun out of it) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Price is good, so go for it.

Snowboarding is generally easier, tho the first few days are mostly on your butt. Upside: Less of a learning curve to having fun than skiing, easier to navigate different snow conditions. The downside is that it is pretty impossible to stand around on a snowboard with both fett locked in, so when you stop you're sitting on snow. Easier to break wrists in falls (wear wrist protection, like you would with skateboarding).

The skis that are out now make skiing much easier than it used to be. You can have fun skiing, but it's harder to become an excellent skiier as technique is pretty important. I'm a skier tho. Youy can stop on the side of a run and not have to sit like a seal in a pod if you're on a snowboard. I am considering taking up boarding so I can still have fun when snow is too slushy to have fun skiing (which is often in SoCal).

8. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Easier to break wrists in falls (wear wrist protection, like you would with skateboarding).

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely take THAT advice!
    Thanks for the input everyone...I'll let you know how it goes.

9. thezentree

yea, forgot to mention, after a week of snowboarding, my wrists are immobile... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

you can ski naked /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. thezentree

you outta your mind? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif aint you ever heard of snow rash? oh my god, and the cold temperatures? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif