Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any special considerations...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I need to think about when Im installing my new steering box? Or do I just bolt it back in?

Thnx
    ~Max

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check for cracks, locktite, and make sure you double check the bolts at a later date.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You won't have time to think because you'll be straining to hold that heavy box against the frame without it wobbling while you search for the hole with the bolt. It's even worse if you have a lift because it's just that much higher. Ahh, the joys of wrenching. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You won't have time to think because you'll be straining to hold that heavy box against the frame without it wobbling while you search for the hole with the bolt. It's even worse if you have a lift because it's just that much higher. Ahh, the joys of wrenching. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hella funny! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yup it's heavy!
    If you are replacing the steering box, even though the frame might not be cracked, I would go ahead and beef up the frame with a kit for strenghth purposes for no worries driving later.
    Bill

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I will be beefing the frame just not right now. I just need to get it back on the road first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You won't have time to think because you'll be straining to hold that heavy box against the frame without it wobbling while you search for the hole with the bolt. It's even worse if you have a lift because it's just that much higher. Ahh, the joys of wrenching.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the DAM truth..What ever you do ask for a friend to hold that s.o.b. up while you get the bolts started..I had mine come down and thankfully the front spring took the grunt of the drop and then it gave me time to move before it landed on my head.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    That is the DAM truth..What ever you do ask for a friend to hold that s.o.b. up while you get the bolts started..I had mine come down and thankfully the front spring took the grunt of the drop and then it gave me time to move before it landed on my head.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, It's a PITA! It took me a few tries of lifting that thing up there and struggling to get a bolt to thread in. I was pooped when i was done and very pissed when I relized my used box was the earlier style o-ring fittings and I needed the flare nut later style. To make a long story short i had do swap boxes twice, and i have a 6" lift to boot.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That God my front clip was off when I put my steering box on!!

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

well I just did mine and it wasnt all that bad /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif helps I have no lift though.

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    well I just did mine and it wasnt all that bad /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif helps I have no lift though.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif