Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any specific vortec heads to use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, May 26, 2005.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 that I am looking to a little power/ efficency mods too and am looking at doing the vortec heads w/ the tbi intake manifold. Any special vortec heads to look at? Will my thorely headers work on them?
    Thanks guys.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The headers will work with them, but I'd find some "better" heads to start with. I've posted before my misgivings with the Vortecs and EFI.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

not steeling the thread... however.. what heads are better?
    I dont know...

4. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Yeah I am interested also...I want something I can bolt of w/ new manifold and worry about nothing else. Any ideas? I wouldnt mind having to get a chip burned but that is about all I really want to go past.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I am considering new heads as well, and I have looked at many heads up to about $1000. I am no expert and am certainly open to advice from those more knowledgeable, but from what I'm seeing the Vortec heads are the best from a cost standpoint. The heads that are better approach $1000 and you can get Vortecs much cheaper. Money may not be an issue for you though. I'd be interested to hear of some sources for better pricing or opinions from those that know much more than I do.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Money is always an issue...I also need to pass california smog.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

World s/r torquer heads allow for more lift and spring combinations than vortecs and run about $700 a pair with valves and springs have screw in studs and are 50 state smog legal. They can be purchased from jegs or summit that I know of and probably a few other places. Also they have the standard chevy intake bolt pattern so you can use any chevrolet intake. This is what I intend to put on the HT383 I want to put in my K5.

Just my .02

8. thumpida

thumpida Newbie

however you can also buy vortec heads that have been modified with screw in studs and mad to accomadate more lift. you can also get those new beehive style springs to fit the vortecs. sdpc2000.com is a good source. http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/2172/SDPC-Vortec-Cylinder-Heads-and-Head-Kits.htm . its not all baout lift and flow rates though. the combustion chamber design helps burn the fuel mix more uniformly for better mileage and power. of course there are better heads, but these are good heads and the stock heads without modification have been proven to support 400 hp. for most of us that is plenty.

9. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Summit also has the vortec heads for $520 or so a pair and the modified Vortec heads with screw in studs for a little more...

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The reason I do not like vortecs is the need for a different intake which is mad expensive and for the egr to work you have to get the passenger exhaust manifold because there is no provision for egr on those heads. But then again it is just my personal preference.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Exactly.

My thought anymore is to try the World Sportsman II's. I'd be interested in seeing what engine builders have to say about them as a truck head, as they are advertised as flowing about 30CFM more than the Vortecs IIRC (200 vs 170??) BUT unlike the torquers, they have a fastburn chamber. About $450 each from Summit, looked the other day. Add the "good" Vortecs with the TBI intake, EGR issues, and what do you end up with for cost? Only thing I can't comment on for sure with the Sportsmans is the intake bolt pattern...the TBI intake may or may not work with those heads.

They are the only "non Vortec" intake/runner pattern I'm aware of that utilize a fast burn chamber. All the benefits of other non-Vortec heads, plus the better chamber.

The beehive springs I've seen are RIDICULOUSLY expensive when a standard spring will work just as good and would probably be 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of the beehives, (last I checked anyways) even IF you could easily use the standard springs, which you can't on Vortecs.