Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any sugestions on carb tunning?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Mar 21, 2006.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I recently purchaced and installed an edelbrock thunder avs off road carb, and for some reason its running rich, and i can't get it to lean out..

heres what i did, after installing it, i started the truck and let it warm up to operating temp, then i turned each screw in untill it ran rough, then i slowly backed the screw out until it ran smooth. (one screw at a time)

that didn't work..it was better but still rich. so i called edelbrock and they said to do what i already did, but once it ran smooth, give it another 1/4 turn out.
    so i did that, and now its running richer..

my tail pipes are black, and when the truck runs, you can smell gas at the pipes, and if you put your hand in front of the pipes, you get gas on them..

so any sugestions?

if i can't figure it out, i think i might go and buy a air/fuel guage, and use that to adjust it....but i have never had any problems getting the mixture adjusted before..

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id try using a vacuum gauge. adjust the idle screws to obtain the highest vacuum reading at idle (manifold vacuum). then adjust the timing to obtain the highest manifold vacuum reading (within reason). then go back and adjust the idle mix screws. then the timing. always trying to get the highest possible manifold vacuum readings.

then if its still rich, then it may require a jet change or metering rods.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tip, i'll give it a shot.:wink1: