Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any suggestions for a cam??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I want a cam that has a lot of torque from low rpms and wont fall on its face at like 3 grand. The lift has to be under .5 because i'm using vortex heads. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

best bet is to call comp cams and ask them. They are really good about helping people out. Every time I call them they are more than happy to look up numbers or let me know what they recommend.

Since they either bought or were bought by Crane cams they are pretty much the experts on the subject. You tell them what you want and they will tell you the cam part numbers that will get you what you need. guaranteed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW I see Crane is offering $20 off on their powermax cams http://www.cranecams.com/

Not sure if they are the "style" you would need, but $20 doesn't hurt!

BTW, I'm running .452" max lift on my Vortecs, and I've got the MINIMUM retainer to seal clearance recommended. I'd either wait until you get the heads and can mock them up to check this, or do some testing to figure it out now. I know people have run .480" max lift on these heads, but I simply wouldn't do it if I planned on keeping the motor.

Also you better talk to the cam people...getting springs with the right pressure for higher lift cams that fit the Vortecs is difficult. Stock Vortec springs are something like 90lb springs, my roller cam (roller cams being what Vortec heads were designed for BTW) required somewhere around 112lb springs.