Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any Suggestions?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RLBstein, Nov 2, 2002.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I have a freshly rebuilt 700R4 and a 6.2L w/ 35" tires and the original 3.73 gears. My problem is on road trips, I cannot keep my truck at a constant speed once I get to 65-70mph and my trans keeps shifting to 3 and OD to compensate for the loss of speed. I don't want to change gears and lose my highway speed, but I don't want that continuous shift from OD either. Does anyone know which gears would best suit me. I have been thinking about 4.11's. I don't really do much wheeling and it will be used to tow a boat (eventually) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Or should I just save my money for a turbo /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I think you need a gear change. I have 4.10 gears and 27" tires on my C20. I love this setup! Great pulling power, and it still flies down the interstate at 75 mph.

Casey

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The other thing to check into is that your TV cable may be set too sensitive. Have you tried adjusting it?

Casey

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I would check the TV cable first, but if you plan on towing with it with 35" tires I would probably go with the 4.11's
    By the way, I have 35" with 3.54 on my full size jeep, and what I do is going up hill I put it in drive, and when on flat I go OD.
    Works for me, but I don't tow with those gears.

5. chrisnjj

chrisnjj Registered Member

I'm running into the same problem w/ my 86 k-5 diesel 700r4 3.08 gears and stock 31" tires. I just purchased it and took a 400 mile trip on the highway. All the way through Vermont on the interstate the truck would downshift to drive on any sort of hill. On bigger ones it shifted to 2nd! limiting me to 45mph! I got sick of shifting out of od and didn't want to hurt the tranny so I just put it in drive for the rest of the trip and it seemed fine. I think I will switch to some 4.56 gears which will give me the same rpm on the highway in od that I get now in drive. Has anyone done this combo with a diesel and is the power I'm getting now about normal? Oh, when I switch to 4.56 I want to get 33 or 35 in. tires.

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I've got 4:10s with 33's and my 700 does the exact same thing!!! I'm going to try and adjust the tv cable, and then add some headers for my HP... If that doesn't improve things, then I'll change my gears! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif