Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

any surfers here ? think i have found a new interest! too bad im landlocked

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jul 6, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

any surfers here on this forum ? i am watching the new show The Boarding House and damnnnnnn thats totally badassed !!!!!!! damn!
    im getting chills just watching and thijnking about it and i dont even know why,
    not just hawaii and north beah and such, but the sport itself, i really really reallllllllly think that would be something i would want to do and could pracitce and get get pretty good at, especially if the key to the sport is balance and timing ? is it not ?
    the surfers on the show tat i am seeing are ages 19 to 23, and im literally sitting here in this town being 25 since last month and have been landlocked all my life right here in central IL and so ive never even seen an ocean or a real beach, so hmmmm, i hate having been stuck inland sooooooo bad, i always have! i always dream of getting the hay out of here to somewhere where there is action. but have no way to still, yet,.., win the lottery?

if this posting makes me sound or seem wired or something then hey thats all good, im glad ot be not-normal, normalcy sucks, i try to avoid any type of it whenever possible ! ive been called crazy by alot of ppl a bllion times, i love it, i dont do too crazy of things usually, but i still am apparently /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

curious to see replies from surfers or even non-surfers.

thanks

2. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Beware of the image that you see on "The Boarding House" and other shows of the same type. Most of those in the water on a daily basis are hard working, regular joes.

Surfing is absolutely addictive. I'm out there on my lunch breaks every day. The best remedy for any type of stress.

Surfing is very easy to learn, but extrememly difficult to progress. Balance is a big part, but knowledge of the ocean and waves is the most important. If you ever have the opportunity to try it, absolutely do it. You won't regret it. I'm 15 years deep, and it keeps getting better.

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Is it anything like snowboarding? Im sure it doesnt hurt as much /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

you cant beat surfing!my wrv is still waiting for me in florida /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif,no waves in DALLAS TX.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

it aint really like snowboarding...snowboardin u just get up and go....surfing u gotta wait around for the good wave to come...and if u miss it, then u gotta wait longer. also, surfing requires more concentration on your balance. u hafta plan where your gonna go next to stay in with the wave too. snowboaring u just gotta try to avoid other peeps and trees /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NITRO

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

awesome! i have a good feeling that if i ever got a chance in my lifetime to even see an ocean or beach- let alone surf in it- that id be addicted and have one hell of a blast,

my problem is that ive never:
    A: gone water skiiing
    B: gone snow skiing

i follow a sheltered life here, itsd not my fault though, cant go do neither in corn and bean fields in which all are perfectly flat land....

NITRO knows, he has been over here, i dunno what IN is like though, hehehe

hows the 454 doing for you- by the way ?

thanks

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hell ya! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]
    I LOVE surfing! I've tried surfing since i was 12 but been serious about it for the past 2 years. I have a few boards, my 9' pintail is good for all around, but i LOVE my 8' hybrid board.
    I have done everything, skateboarding, wakeboarding, snowboarding, surfing.. And Surfing is my favorite by far- where you are most "at one" with mother nature, so i try to go every weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Only live about 45 minutes from the beach but its about $20 in gas there and back, so it adds up.
    Theres nothing like the feeling of dropping into an overhead wave, ripping a few turns up and down it before it closes out... You do have to watch out for the locals in some spots. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif 1st rule i learned real quick- Don't get in anyones way.
    Biggest wave i've caught so far was probably a few feet overhead ~ 8-9 foot. Sometimes those days are more scary than fun. You can get Worked by those waves. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've had a few epic spiritual days out in the waves.
    With time, you not only get better at surfing the wave, but better at judging where and when it is going to break, how well formed it is, and position-ing yourself to catch the wave.