Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any TBI guys w/ emission headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, Jun 24, 2004.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if any of you TBI guys have done a swap from manifolds to headers and retained your air injection stuff. If so, how did you shorten the lines for the air pump going into the manifold. The lines are male threaded flared and insert in at the 1 and 3 cylinders. The headmans that I got have tubes that meet in the middle of the headers and are also male threaded pipe. If anyone can give me any ideas on how to shorten the lines or what you did to mount the air tubes on the headers.
    Thanx
    Jesse.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd start looking to early to mid-80's GM cars, and I believe trucks too.

They should have the right pieces for you.

These are off of an '87 Monte (SS, but that doesn't matter) AIR Manifolds

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Is that rubber hose attached to the back side of the female fittings or metal pipe? If that is rubber those would work great. I would need a total of eight right?

4. dyeager535

If you are talking about the pieces that are "upstream" of the check valve, yes those are rubber.

5. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

My bad, I would only need 4 of the female check valves then I could run rubber line between the two valves. That would replace the metal pipe that is on there now. Do you think that the headers would get to hot for the rubber? should I put some steel braid around it or heat wrap like you put on the manifolds.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Heres a pic from my sbc days, not real sure I understand the questions or if you have my same AIR setup (my bbc has injection on all cylinders), this pic is from the drivers side obviously. The pipe that runs around the back of the motor is stock, then it runs into rubber hose, then into check valve which screws onto stock AIR pipes. I got new pipes from LMC. AIR link

7. dyeager535

Steel braid I doubt would help with the heat. Distance from the headers is what will matter. Just depends HOW far away the rubber is from the tubes. Only thing I can suggest is mocking something up, and seeing if the rubber melts. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My '89 didn't come with an air pump or those air injection tubes, the only things i have on mine are the EGR valve and a big a$s cat.

9. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

K20, I'm at work and firewall won't let me look at the picture. Dorian, thanks for the help. I will have to stop by pull-n-save friday morning and maybe scope out some 80's cars for the pieces I need. I don't think the rubber will melt b/c the rubber lines coming from the AIR pump are about the same distance away as the original metal lines. If they do I have some oil/heat resistant hose that I sell here at work that might help. I wonder why headman does not make the headers w/ the AIR tubes so you can just mount existing lines to the headers?

One more question, There are no O2 bungs on my headers, should I just have the exhaust shop add it to my pipe right after the headers when they run my exhaust.
    Thanx again
    Jesse

10. dyeager535

I have a feeling Hedman sold you what they did, because there are different variants, and as always, it's cheaper to make one thing than 2-3 different setups. No excuse, they should be made right though. Kind of like the #1 tube...in the trucks that tube could be way out of the way, instead it shields the #5 plug more than it needs to. At least my set does.

As to O2, I had a bung (actually the correct size jam nut) welded to the piece that mates up to the header. (exhaust pipe) My system goes closed loop, so I know it's getting hot enough there, but it MIGHT be taking longer than normal because of the distance. I have nothing to compare it to though, so who knows. A heated O2 might be in the mix.

11. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I plan on doing the same thing you have done. Just have my sensor mounted to the adapter after the headers. Might go w/ a heated O2 sensor too. Thanx for all the help.
    Jesse