Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Any thoughts on harmonic balancers/dampers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Nov 11, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Always knew there were different diameters, didn't realize the 350 ones had different thicknesses! (not talking about external vs internal balancing here)

Anyone else ever run into this? Motor I took out had an approx 1.5" thick balancer, replacement is a 2" thick one.

Probably going to return the balancer (wreaks havoc with the pulley's and belts), but does anyone know of a source for 8" diameter, less than 2" thick balancers??

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

aftermarket ones i know you can buy that size....i think i have a stock 8" balancer..if your needing one...

3. dyeager535

Thanks for the offer! How thick is yours?

It *is* an aftermarket balancer, so I may end up returning it. From what I've seen so far (from what that company offers) the only differences they list is the diameter, not thickness.

If I have to replace it, that may cause a slight bit of a problem, as the engine was balanced with that damper. I know a new component can be taken in and balanced for the motor, but thats additional cost I'm sure. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just wonder if I didn't press the balancer on far enough. I need to look again, but when I did it, it certainly *felt* like it was pressed on far enough.

I don't have a "thicker" stock balancer around that I can measure, but I wonder which "direction" the thicker portion is...is the forward edge of all the balancers in the same place, only the back edge is closer or further from the block based on thickness, or is the front edge the difference, thus one of the reasons for so many different pulley offsets?

I got a bunch of spare pulleys (3 sets) and there are 2 distinct pulley "offsets". I was able to make them all work, the problem is, the PS pump setup I have needs to be run off the crank to tension the belt properly, and I can't do that without the correct crank pulley...as it sits now, if I got a pulley to line up with the PS pump, the water pump and alt pulley would be off. Odd, since the only change was the balancer, so you'd *think* the water pump, alt and PS pump pulleys would all be lined up. Of course, could be, since the PS pump is not original to the pulley setup, that whatever vehicle I grabbed the PS pump from when I initially put that engine in the truck, had a different pulley offset, and I ran it like that for 3 years and never noticed. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was hoping to stay away from changing the PS pump pulley, but the more I think about it, once I get the balancer problem fixed, the PS pump or just the pulley probably needs to be changed, now that I KNOW it's not right. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always wanted to try one of these , but never got around to it yet. [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

Looks like it's 2" thick to me.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Sorry..cant help. I never seen one narrower than 2" /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. dyeager535

Well, talking to the shop that I bought the parts from, the guy who owns it, and has been doing this kind of stuff for many years, knew what I was talking about with the thickness difference, but said that the difference is on the "backside" of the balancer...meaning no matter the thickness, all the pulleys are in the same place. Probably excluding the short water pump setups.

Anyways, I'm *guessing* that the key on the crank that is normally under the timing gear is cocked, or pushed up, and thats what stopped the installation tool from seating it any further. Was able to take a measurement off another crank with a timing gear on it, so I should be able to measure how far on the balancer should go.

If he is right, and the thickness doesn't matter, I'm going to have a fun job if that key is cocked or pulled out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif